Cheese Stuffed Peppers are packed with colorful bell peppers topped with melted cheese. A cheesy treat for vegetarian lovers. Stuffed Pepper is an Italian style appetizer that can easily double as a main dish once paired with the right kind of accompaniments. Try stuffed peppers recipe this week and serve it alongside some toasted garlic bread, creamy pasta or a seasonal salad.
Italian food is always a winner on the family table. It’s not too spicy so kids won’t fuss, it has enough veggies and protein to keep us the meal planners content and then there’s cheese to keep everyone happy. This Italian style stuffed pepper recipe is an excellent family dinner cum snack for any day of the week. It is fairly versatile as well.
For the stuffing, you can use any kind of seasonal vegetables – carrot, beans, potato, mushroom, meat – beef, minced chicken, bacon, or a variety of grains like – quinoa, rice, couscous. Either way, it tastes only delicious and fulfilling.
I have used Mother Dairy Cheese to get a slightly crusty layer on top of peppers. At times I like to enjoy Mother Dairy Cheese Cube on its own. Simply cubed, seasoned with pepper and I am all sorted for the quick evening snack. You can watch the step-by-step process to make these stuffed peppers at Mother Dairy Fresh Delights Instagram Handle.
Making The Stuffed Peppers:
The peppers are the hero in this appetizer recipe so it’s very important that you choose good quality ones. They need to be firm. With smooth, relatively unblemished skins. Wash them thoroughly in salt water before use and carefully scoop out the insides (seeds and the white skin) to give a nice bowl shape for the stuffing. Like I mentioned earlier, this stuffed pepper recipe can be easily customized as per your preference.
When making stuffed peppers for a large gathering or party, prepare the stuffing and bell peppers in advance and keep in the fridge. Simply assemble and bake just before serving. Freezing the stuffed pepper is not ideal as they can get soggy and may not retain the crunch. With stuffing did beforehand stuffed pepper is one of the easy to pick together party snack. Always a crowd favorite vegetarian snack or side dish.
If you try this recipe and love it, please leave a comment and a rating. This helps us grow and reach many other food lovers like you, who are looking for a perfect tried and tested recipe.
Cheese Stuffed Peppers Recipe
Ingredients For The Covering:
- 3 - 4 bell peppers
Ingredients For Stuffing:
- 1 medium-size onion, fine chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 Cup Mixed Vegetables (mushroom, carrot, french beans), fine chopped
- 1/4 Cup sweet corn kernels
- 1/4 Cup pasta sauce, ( see recipe here)
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Italian Herbs Mix
- 1 Cup processed cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoon cooking olive oil
- Preheat oven at 180 degrees Celcius. Grease a baking tray with a teaspoon of oil. Set aside till required. Meanwhile, prepare the stuffing and peppers.
Prepare the Peppers:
- Wash and pat dry the peppers. Use a small knife to cut a wide circle around each bell pepper stem to remove the tops. Cut each pepper into equal halves. Remove the seeds and white skin from inside the peppers. Set aside.
Prepare the Stuffing:
- Heat olive oil a frying pan. Add chopped garlic and onion. Saute for 3 - 5 minutes or till translucent.
- Now, add the chopped vegetables, sweet corn kernels, salt, black pepper, Italian seasoning mix, and pasta sauce. Mix nicely, cover and cook till vegetables are nicely done. Turn off the heat.
- Add half of the grated cheese and combine.
Stuff the Peppers:
- Evenly divide the mixture among the peppers. Stuff each pepper tightly with the stuffing. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over peppers.
Bake the Peppers:
- Bake until the peppers are softened but not mushy and the cheese on top is nicely melted and golden, about 30 - 40 minutes.
- Sprinkle fresh coriander or parsley on top. Serve stuffed pepper immediately.