Mixed Vegetable Cutlet is an all-time favorite teatime snack. Whether it is monsoon downpour, crisp autumn afternoon or bitterly cold evenings a plate full of the cutlet is always welcomed along with a cup of tea. A bowl of tomato ketchup and coriander chutney to dip the cutlet makes teatime table picture perfect. The tantalizing aroma of the frying cutlets sneaks out of the kitchen and lingers around the tea table. The tea laced with ginger and cardamom bubbling on the side stove sends an inviting gluttonous note to those who are wandering in the backyard yearning for evening snacks.
On certain festive occasions, we make an excuse to the rule of relishing cutlets only during evening teatime instead they are served all around the day to woo the guests. Diwali is one such occasion when a box full of such delicious, sinful snacks is always sitting on the kitchen counter. There is a particular aroma of frying engulfing the kitchen air. Whether it is sweet or savory, all kind of deep-fried snacks laces the festive platter.
The cheat cook’s trick is, make the mixture for the Mixed Vegetable Cutlet, shape them into tiny cigars, dust with bread crumbs and arrange neatly in an airtight container. Store this precious box of cutlet treasure in the fridge. When your tea table is all set to greet the guests, simply open the container and fry these cutlets. This simple beforehand planning is sure to win you many compliments. A day before the party you can shape these cutlets and save the last few hours next day in calming down your last minute jim-jams.
The best part about these vegetable cutlets is they can be totally customized. It is not necessary to stick to the vegetables suggested in the recipes. Feel free to pick your favorite vegetables to make these cutlets. And with each combination of vegetables, these cutlets taste totally delicious.
How To Make Mixed Vegetable Cutlet Gluten Free?
To make these cutlets 100% gluten-free skip adding breadcrumbs to the cutlet mixture. Instead, you can use grated paneer (cottage cheese) as a binder and a tablespoon of gram flour (besan) to coat the cutlets. Those who eat eggs can dip the cutlets in a whisked egg before frying for a crunchy exterior. And trust me on this, without breadcrumbs also, the vegetable cutlets turn out tasty.
How to make Mixed Vegetable Cutlet in few simple steps:
For more such fun recipes in your life, follow along on Facebook, Instagram, or subscribe to our Youtube Channel.
- 3 - 4 large size boiled potato
- 2 medium size carrot fine chopped
- 1/4 Cup green peas, boiled
- 1 small size onion fine chopped
- 1/2 Cup bread crumb mixture
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoon kasuri methi
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon chaat masala
- Oil for shallow frying
- 1/4 Cup corn flour (combined with water)
- 1/4 Cup bread crumbs
- To prepare the mixed vegetable cutlet, first drain the boiled potato and peas in a metal colander for 5 - 10 minutes so that any excess moisture in the vegetable drains out.
- Next fine chop the remaining vegetables, I prefer using a food processor or electric chopper for the purpose.
- Now peel and mash the boiled potato. Make sure no chunks remain in the mashed potato.
- In a large mixing bowl combine mashed potato, boiled peas, chopped vegetables, salt, spices and bread crumbs.
- Combine all ingredients well to form a smooth mixture. Taste and adjust the seasoning accordingly.
- Cover with a foil and let it rest in the fridge for 15 - 20 minutes.
- Once you are ready to fry the cutlet, heat oil in fry - pan over medium heat.
- Take a tablespoon of cutlet mixture and shape it into a small cylinder. Tap both the sides on the kitchen counter to get flat edges. Similarly, shape all the cutlets.
- Dip the cutlet in the corn four mixture and then coat in bread crumbs.
- Shallow fry the cutlets in small batches till crisp and golden from all sides.
- Drain on an oil absorbent paper towel.
- Serve Mixed Vegetable Cutlet warm with tomato ketchup.
- If you do not want to shallow fry cutlet immediately, shape them and store in an airtight box in the fridge.