This is a spicy, cheesy, crispy chutney sandwich recipe loaded with cheese. It is one of the easiest and tastiest Indian-style sandwiches that fit perfectly in the category of a quick breakfast and a cheesy teatime snack. Be sure to watch the video!
About Chutney Sandwich
If you wonder what the hell is a chutney sandwich, close your eyes and imagine biting into crisp bread slices with spicy, refreshing green chutney (dipping sauce) piled with a melting layer of cheese.
It may sound odd at first, but after one bite, you will surely make this sandwich again and again.
It is an Indian-style sandwich inspired by the pesto grilled cheese sandwich.
The green chutney is a refreshing Indian dipping sauce or a side dish. The combination of spicy chutney and melting cheese in between the grilled bread slices is simply heavenly.
Reason to LOVE Chutney Sandwich
easy and require minimal prep work
vegetarian sandwich recipe
versatile and customizable
You need a few basic ingredients to make this two-layered grilled cheese sandwich.
Ingredients For Green Chutney
Coriander Leaves: Fresh Coriander Leaves are the key ingredient for making green chutney. Do not throw away coriander stalks as they add a lot of flavor to the chutney.
Green Chilli: It adds spiciness. Jalapeno or any other mildly spicy green chili works for making chutney.
Garlic: I love the flavor of garlic in my chutney. Skip adding garlic if you are allergic or do not like it.
Cumin: Use either roasted cumin seeds or powder. It gives an earthy, roasted flavor to the chutney.
Coconut: It is not usually added to an authentic green chutney. I like the combination of coconut and coriander.
Mango Powder & Chaat Masala: They give a sour, lip-smacking taste to the chutney. You can use lemon or lime juice, rock salt, Himalayan Pink Salt, or a tablespoon of sour cream to get the same taste.
Ingredients For Sandwich
Bread: Any variety of sandwich bread works. Use a bread with decent heft and structure, not something very soft and delicate.
Cheese: Gruyere, Swiss, Cheddar, Emmental, Mozarella, or any other cheese slices with excellent melting qualities are perfect for this chutney sandwich.
Butter: To grill the chutney sandwich
Easy Homemade Green Chutney
The soul of this cheese sandwich is the green chutney. It is an easy, no-cook, gluten-free, vegan, Indian dipping sauce that you can store for 3 – 5 days in the refrigerator.
There are many ways to make a lip-smacking green chutney. You can follow them or stick to my simple, fuss-free, and guaranteed delicious super green chutney recipe.
I have two versions of green chutney – one, without mint (I use it for making this sandwich), second, with mint and minus coconut. Both of these chutney recipes are equally delicious. For this cheese sandwich, I have used green chutney without mint leaves.
While making green chutney do not grind it for too long as the heat of your blender’s blade might turn your chutney black and bitter. A few quick pulses are good enough.
Watch Cheese Chutney Sandwich Recipe Video
More Breakfast Recipes
If you try this recipe and love it, please leave a Star Rating. This helps us grow and reach many other food lovers like you, who are looking for a perfect tried and tested recipe.
Cheese Chutney Sandwich Recipe
- Grill Pan
Ingredients For Green Chutney
- 1 ½ Cup fresh coriander leaves
- 2 green chili
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 teaspoon mango powder (amchur) check ingredients note above
- 1 teaspoon Chaat Masala
- Salt to taste
- 1 – 2 tablespoon water
- 12 slices sandwich bread check ingredients note above
- 12 slices cheese (two on each sandwich) check ingredients note above
- 4 tablespoon unsalted butter
Prepare Green Chutney:
- Add all the ingredients for green chutney in the small jar of a blender along with 1 – 2 tablespoons of water. Blend the chutney to a thick, smooth paste. Do not blend the chutney for too long. The texture does not have to be silky smooth.
- Taste the chutney and add more salt if required. If it seems too spicy for your liking, add a tablespoon of yogurt or sugar and blend one more time. Transfer the chutney to a bowl and set it aside.
- Spread evenly 1 tablespoon of chutney on a bread slice. Place one or two cheese slices. Spread chutney on another bread slice. Cover the cheese layer with chutney smeared bread slice. Similarly, assemble all the sandwiches.
- Heat 1 – 2 tablespoons of butter on a grill pan.
- Place one sandwich on the hot grill pan. Toast it from both sides until the bread is crisp. You can grill the chutney sandwich on a sandwich press as well.
- Serve Cheese Chutney Sandwich warm.
- Less chewy sourdough bread also works for this sandwich recipe.
- Adjust the amount of green chilies according to your preference or use the mildly spicy ones.
- Substitute Chaat Masala and mango powder with lime juice/sour cream/rock salt/curd. The chutney needs a touch of sourness.
- If you are using a flavored cheese, adjust the amount of salt and spices in the chutney accordingly.
- Like other grilled cheese sandwiches, chutney sandwich also does not taste good at room temperature or cold. It is best enjoyed when warm and the cheese is melting.