Curried Pumpkin Soup is a hearty, comforting, vegan soup packed with pumpkin, apple, and carrot. Flavored with warming spices, this is a perfect soup recipe for the fall and winter season. In an instant pot, curried pumpkin soup takes only 10 minutes.
With the winter breeze knocking at the door every now and then, soups are the best comfort meal for this time of the year.
Curried Pumpkin Soup is packed with the best of seasonal produce – pumpkin, apple, and carrot.
With the whole spices and a dash of curry powder, the humble pumpkin soup transforms into delicious goodness.
I really like the taste of apple in a soup, it adds a hint of tartness and sweetness to balance the spiciness of curry powder.
Reason To LOVE Curried Pumpkin Soup
- one pot soup recipe
- hearty and filling
- vegan, gluten, and nut-free
- only 10 minutes cooking time
- requires simple ingredients
This curried pumpkin soup recipe requires simple and easily available ingredients.
Pumpkin: Peeled and diced (or purchase pre-cut). A sweet-tasting pumpkin is best for this soup recipe.
Apple: Any sweet and slightly sour tasting apple is perfect. Granny Smith, California Apple, Royal Gala are a few of my favorite picks. Get rid of the skin and seeds.
Carrot: Peeled and diced. You can use a frozen carrot. Thaw at room temperature before adding to the soup.
Curry Powder: The Indian Curry Powder gives this pumpkin soup a unique taste. Substitute it with 1/2 teaspoon of paprika and 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric powder.
Stock: Vegetable or chicken broth. Use 1 stock cube if you are out of the liquid broth.
Bay Leaf: Dried or fresh.
Olive Oil: Substitute avocado, vegetable, or canola oil.
Other Ingredients: Onion, Garlic, Salt, Pepper
How To Make Curried Pumpkin Soup
Peel and Dice: Keep all the vegetables, apples, and other ingredients ready next to the instant pot.
Saute: Set the SAUTE Mode for 5 minutes. Add olive oil, minced garlic, onion, and bay leaf. Saute for 1 minute. Next, add diced pumpkin, apple, carrot, salt, spices. Saute for 2 – 3 minutes to soften. Add stock and mix.
Cook: Pressure Cook for 5 minutes.
Blend: Once cooked, discard the bay leaf. Blend the soup smooth using a stick blender in the instant pot itself or transfer to a blender.
Before serving garnish the soup with roasted peanuts, chopped cilantro, lemon juice, and red chili.
A thick and creamy curried pumpkin soup is best for dunking garlic bread or flavorsome focaccia.
It is a wholesome and fulfilling meal in itself.
FAQ’s Related To Pumpkin Soup
What flavors I can add to the curried soup?
You can add – Thai Red Curry Paste, Ginger, Kaffir Lime Leaves, Cumin Powder, Shrimps, Fish Flakes, Seaweed, or spicy chilies.
Can I use frozen vegetables?
Yes, you can use frozen vegetables. Thaw them at room temperature before adding to the soup.
Can I use pumpkin puree?
I would not recommend that. You can try my roasted pumpkin soup made with puree.
Can I make this soup on stovetop?
Yes, this pumpkin soup can be easily made on a stovetop. Use a heavy-duty saucepan with a tight-fitting lid to cook the soup. The cooking time may vary between 15 – 20 minutes over medium heat.
How to store the leftover soup?
Make sure has cooled down to room temperature before storing. Store in an airtight container for 3-4 days in the refrigerator.
Transfer the soup to an airtight container and store it in the freezer for up to 6 months.
How to reheat?
Let the soup sit at room temperature for 10 minutes. Reheat in a microwave or on the stovetop over medium heat.
More Soup Recipes For You
If you try this recipe and love it, please leave a comment and a Star Rating. This helps us grow and reach many other food lovers like you, who are looking for a perfect tried and tested recipe.
Instant Pot Curried Pumpkin Soup Recipe
- Instant Pot
- 500 gram pumpkin, peeled, deseeded, and diced
- 1 Cup peeled and diced carrot
- 1 Cup peeled and diced apple
- 4 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 Cup chopped onion
- Salt to taste
- 4 Cup vegetable stock
- 1/2 teaspoon Curry Powder (get recipe)
- 1/4 teaspoon red paprika
- 1 teaspoon red chili
- 1 tablespoon fine chopped cilantro or coriander
- 1 tablespoon crushed roasted peanuts
- Peel, dice, keep all the vegetables, apples, and other ingredients ready next to the instant pot.
- Set the SAUTE Mode of IP for 5 minutes. Add olive oil, minced garlic, onion, and bay leaf. Saute for 1 minute. Next, add diced pumpkin, apple, carrot, salt, spices. Saute for 2 – 3 minutes to soften. Add stock and stir to combine.
- Cancel the SAUTE Mode. Seal the lid of the IP. Set the steam valve to the Sealing position. Set PRESSURE COOK Mode for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, release the steam manually. Open the lid and check vegetables for doneness.
- Once the vegetables are cooked, discard the bay leaf. Blend the soup smooth using a stick blender in the instant pot itself or transfer to a blender. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Garnish with chopped colantro, red chilli, and roasted peanuts.
- Serve curried pumpkin soup with focaccia bread or any other crusty bread.
- You can add coconut cream or milk to the soup to get a creamy mouthfeel. Replace 2 Cups of stock with coconut milk.
- Allow the soup to cool down a bit before transferring to a blender. Otherwise blending a too-hot soup might lead to an explosion. Or best use a stick blender to grind the soup.
- You can vary the garnishing ingredient as per personal preference.
- This soup can be made with sweet potato or butternut squash as well.