Makhani Sauce Pasta is a delicious Indian-style fusion pasta recipe. Pasta cooked in a vegetarian makhani gravy sauce with cream and herbs is a real outburst of flavors. It will surely become your favorite family dinner recipe. Be sure to watch the video!
The Indian Makhani Sauce
Over the years the famous Indian makhani gravy has become the favorite of food lovers all over the World.
The word ‘Makhani’ defines – rich, smooth, creamy, orange color Indian sauce with a slightly sweet taste.
Now no need to rush to the nearby Indian restaurant for your favorite murgh makhani. Try this homemade makhani sauce recipe to believe what I am talking about.
Reasons To LOVE Makhani Sauce
unique, tasty, kid-friendly
vegetarian and gluten-free
meal-prep and freezer friendly
easy to make, multi-purpose sauce
Other Ingredients Required
This pasta recipe is all about basic pantry staples and customization.
Pasta: I feel penne, rigatoni, or shell pasta works best with the makhani sauce.
Add-on: From colorful veggies, shredded chicken, shrimps, to meat, you can add your favorite protein to this pasta.
Herbs: Fresh Italian basil, parsley, or cilantro are my top picks for making makhani pasta more delicious.
Vegan: For a vegan makhani pasta, skip adding dairy cream to the sauce. Use coconut cream/cashew cream or almond milk for a creamy mouthfeel.
Watch Makhani Sauce Pasta Video
FAQs Related To Makhani Pasta
Can I make it in an instant pot?
Yes, this is an instant pot-friendly pasta recipe. Prepare the sauce using the SAUTE mode of an IP. Blend the sauce to get a smooth texture, add uncooked pasta, herbs, cream, and stir to combine. Cook in PRESSURE COOK mode for 5 – 6 minutes.
Can I make it vegan and gluten-free?
Use a gluten-free pasta, boil it, and add to the sauce as suggested in the recipe instructions. The makhani sauce is totally gluten-free. For a vegan makhani pasta, use coconut cream/cashew cream or almond milk instead of regular dairy cream.
How to store leftover makhani pasta?
Store the leftover makhani pasta in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2 – 3 days. Reheat in a microwave or stovetop before eating.
The leftover extra sauce you can store in the refrigerator for 3 – 5 days or you can freeze it for 1 month.
More Pasta Recipes For You
- Basil Pesto Pasta
- Indian Style Masala Macaroni
- Healthy White Sauce Pasta
- Classic Tomato Sauce Pasta
- Stir Fry Pasta with Vegetables
- Instant Pot Pumpkin Sauce Pasta
- Instant Pot Chicken Broccoli Pasta
If you try this recipe and love it, please leave a comment and a Star Rating. This helps us grow and reach many other food lovers like you, who are looking for a perfect tried and tested recipe.
Makhani Sauce Pasta Recipe
- Stir Fry Pan
- 2 tablespoon butter or olive oil
- 1 Cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 Cup tomato, canned or diced
- 1 teaspoon ginger and garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder or paprika
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- ½ Cup tomato sauce or ketchup
- 2 Cup penne pasta
- ½ Cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 tablespoon fresh parsley
- Boil 6 cups of water with salt in a saucepan. Once the water starts boiling add pasta. Stir and cook pasta until al dente or cooked as per your preference.
- Drain water and transfer pasta to a colander. Rinse with water to stop the cooking process and remove starch. Keep it aside.
- To make the makhani sauce, heat butter in a stir fry pan. Once butter is melted, add chopped onion and saute over low heat for 5 – 6 minutes to caramelize it.
- Next, add ginger-garlic paste, chopped tomato, salt, red chili, turmeric, and mix. Cook over low heat till tomatoes are soft and mushy. This usually takes 5 – 6 minutes.
- Once tomatoes are cooked, add tomato sauce, stir to combine, cook for 1 minute, and turn off the heat. Allow the masala to cool down a bit and blend into a smooth sauce. Use little water or milk if required to get a smooth consistency.
- Transfer makhani sauce back to the same pan. Add cream, oregano, chili flakes, cooked pasta, and fresh herbs. Stir to combine. Allow the pasta to simmer over low heat for 3 – 5 minutes to absorb the flavors of the sauce. Turn off the heat.
- Garnish makhani sauce pasta with fresh herbs.
- Serve makhani sauce pasta with bread of choice.