Kacche Kele Ki Sabji is a vegetarian South Indian stir fry made with green banana or plantain. It is gluten-free, vegan, tasty, and crispy to the core. Be sure to watch the video!
The Green Banana
The green banana is known as plantain. In the Indian subcontinent, we call it – Kachha Kela (raw banana). The key difference between the ripe banana and the plantain is – that you never eat a plantain raw. It is always cooked before consumption.
A plantain is more like a potato with no taste, thick skin, and starchy.
It comes from Southeast Asia. However, they are now grown worldwide, including in India, Egypt, Indonesia, and tropical regions of America.
We make kebab, sabzi, kofta, and various other delicious vegetarian dishes using raw bananas in India.
Masala Paste: The main flavoring agent in this kacche kele ki sabji is freshly churned masala paste. You need – fresh coriander stalks, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, dried red chilies, coconut, black pepper, and garlic.
Tadka (Tempering): Mustard Seeds (rai), Urad Dal, Curry Leaves
Spices & Seasoning: Turmeric Powder, Red Chilli Powder, Salt
Cooking Oil: I prefer coconut or groundnut oil to make kacche kele ki sabji. You can also use flavorless refined oil, ghee, or mustard oil.
My Tried & True Tips
The nature of plantain is very similar to that of a potato, quick to cook and prone to blackening if left cut for a longer time. Hence, once you remove the green skin, cut it, and soak it in water until ready to use.
Add sufficient oil while cooking kachhe kele ki sabji for a crisp texture.
Adjust the number of red chilies and black peppercorns according to your taste preference. My recipe measurements will give you medium spicy kele ki sabji.
Use a heavy bottom kadhai or a ceramic pan for cooking this sabji. It will ensure crisp texture, even browning, and no sticking to the pan problem.
Watch Kele Ki Sabji Video
We, as a family, enjoy kacche kele ki sabji with arhar ki dal and phulka. Or even piping hot paratha also tastes delicious with this sabzi.
More Indian Sabji Recipes
If you try this recipe and love it, please leave a comment and a rating. This helps us grow and reach other food lovers like you.
Kacche Kele Ki Sabji Recipe
- Heavy Indian Kadhai
- 2 medium-size plantain (kaccha kela)
- ⅛ Cup mustard oil (see notes)
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon white urad dal
- 2 tablespoon curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 ¼ teaspoon salt or to taste
Ingredients For Masala Paste:
- ¼ Cup dessicated coconut
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 2 dried red chilles
- ¼ Cup fresh coriander stalks
- 2 garlic cloves (see notes)
- Make slits in the skin of the plantain. Remove the thick green skin. Soak the plantain in water for 5 minutes.
- Dice the plantain into bite size pieces as shown in the video.
- Next, grind the ingredients for masala paste to a coarse powder without using water in a spice grinder or mixer. Keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom kadhai. Once the oil is hot, add mustard seeds, urad dal, and curry leaves. Fry for 30 – 40 seconds or till dal becomes light golden.
- Add the chopped plantain along with salt, red chilli powder, and turmeric. Stir to combine. Cook covered for 10 minutes over low to medium heat or till plantain is fully cooked.
- Once the plantain is cooked through and crisp, add the masala paste prepared earlier. Stir to combine. Sprinkle freshly chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve Kacche Kele Ki Sabji warm with chapati.
- Adding garlic is optional. You can make the masala paste without garlic as well.
- For cooking you can use coconut oil, mustard oil, ghee, or groundnut oil.