If you are looking for a comforting, fulfilling, vegetarian-friendly meal to feed the family – try veg Shepherd’s Pie. It is my favorite fridge forage dinner recipe. Saucy casserole of vegetables topped with mashed potato and baked to perfection is what this Shepherd’s Pie recipe is all about.
About Shepherd’s Pie
Shepherd Pie is a classic, savory English pie made with ground meat, vegetables, and a layer of creamy mashed potato. It is also known as cottage pie.
This type of one-pot pie is very popular in Irish and British Cuisine. It is a rustic, countryside, traditional pie recipe that you would find mention in the food/culture history books.
Shepherd’s Pie is technically a no-crust pie with a fluffy mashed potato layer forming a crusty top.
In the recent times, the vegetarian version of Shepherd’s Pie became highly popular among the food lovers.
The veg Shepherd’s Pie is made only with vegetables, sauce, herbs, and mashed potato.
To make it more fulfilling one can add – lentils, quinoa, soya granules, bulgar wheat, or any other sort of vegetarian protein.
Reason To LOVE Veg Shepherd’s Pie
highly customizable recipe
wholesome vegetarian meal
gluten-free and possible vegan
easy to make, fridge forage meal
fulfilling main-course for a large gathering
Making veg Shepherd’s Pie is easy to follow a two-step process.
Step 1) Make the vegetable filling and mashed potato separately. Or you can use the leftover/readymade mashed potato as well.
Step 2) Layer the vegetable filling with fluffy mashed potato. Bake in the oven till the pie is golden from the edges, and crusty from the top.
Watch Shepherd’s Pie Recipe Video
What is traditionally served with Shepherd Pie?
Shepherd’s Pie is a wholesome main-course in itself. You don’t need any sides to accompany it except bread or a simple soup or only a glass of wine.
For a festive dinner table, you can serve these side-dishes with veg Shepherd’s Pie:
sauteed green beans
How to make vegan Shepherd’s Pie?
It is very simple and straightforward to make vegan Shepherd’s Pie. The filling of this pie is already vegan and vegetarian. For the making top mashed potato layer, do not add any regular dairy products – butter, milk, cream, or cheese. Use vegan non-dairy products or use the packaged vegan mashed potato filling.
How to freeze leftover Shepherd’s Pie?
The Veg Shepherd’s Pie is a perfect freezer-friendly meal. Allow the pie to cool down completely at room temperature. Cover the pie with a cling foil and transfer it to a freezer friendly bag. Freeze for 3 months. Thaw/defrost in the fridge for a few hours before reheating in a microwave or oven.
You can store it in the refrigerator for 3 – 5 days. But make sure to store or freeze it the same day it is cooked. Do not leave it at room temperature for long hours or overnight.
More Vegetarian Dinner Recipes
If you try this recipe and love it, please leave a Star Rating. This helps us grow and reach many other food lovers like you, who are looking for a perfect tried and tested recipe.
Veg Shepherd’s Pie Recipe
Ingredients For Pie Filling:
- 4 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon finely minced garlic
- 1 Cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 Cup finely chopped carrot
- 1/2 Cup finely chopped zucchini
- 1/2 Cup finely chopped red pepper
- 1/2 Cup finely chopped yellow pepper
- 1/2 Cup chopped button mushroom
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 Cup tomato paste or pizza sauce (see recipe)
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 1/4 Cup vegetable stock or broth
- 2 – 3 fresh sage leaves
Ingredients For Potato Crust:
- 2 Cup boiled potato, peeled and diced
- 1/4 Cup full-fat milk or heavy cream, room temperature
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon softened butter
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 – 4 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
Prepare Pie Filling:
- Heat olive oil in an oven safe casserole or pan. Add garlic, onion, and saute for a minute to release their aroma. No need to brown the onion and garlic.
- Add all the finely chopped vegetables. Saute for 1 – 2 minutes to soften the vegetables.
- Next, add salt, vinegar, herbs, tomato paste, and stir to combine. Add vegetable stock, sage leaves, mix and cook the vegetable filling covered over low heat till thick/saucy. It takes 10 – 15 minutes.
Prepare Mashed Potato Crust:
- Boil potatoes till they are mushy. Add milk, salt, pepper, and butter. Mix and mash the potatoes till thick, smooth, and creamy.
- If you are using an oven-friendly casserole to cook the vegetable filling, top the filling in the pan with a thick layer of mashed potato. Else, grease a baking dish with olive oil or butter. Spread the vegetable filling in the baking dish. Top it with a layer of mashed potato.
- Make the mashed potato layer look interesting by using a fork to draw lines or smooth it out using the back of a spoon. At last, drizzle olive oil or sprinkle grated parmesan cheese on top.
- Bake Shepherd's Pie in a pre-heated oven at 200 degrees Celcius for 20 – 25 minutes. Or till the potato layer is crusty with golden edges.
- Serve Veg Shepherd's Pie warm with the bread of choice.
- You can add – lentils, quinoa, soya granules, bulgar wheat, or any other sort of vegetarian protein to the pie filling.
- You can use the leftover or ready to use mashed potato for making the top layer of the pie.
- Use vegan non-dairy products or use the packaged vegan mashed potato filling for a vegan Shepherd’s Pie.
- You can freeze it for 3 months or store it in the refrigerator for 3 – 5 days.
- For ease, you can use an oven friendly pan or casserole for making the filling. Later, bake the pie in the same pan.