Looking for a healthy pancake recipe? We have the best 100% whole wheat pancakes for you. These whole wheat pancakes are fluffy, soft, and super healthy. Serve them with a drizzle of organic honey or maple syrup with some fresh fruits and wholesome breakfast is on the table in less than 30 minutes.
Whole Wheat Pancakes are always my brunch-time favorite. They add a great variety to the breakfast table. And loved by each member of the family. Needless to say, kids in the family love them to the core.
With all the whole wheat flour in the recipe, these pancakes are quite pillowy with an earthy taste to them. In case, you are assuming that whole wheat flour might compromise the taste of the pancakes then you must try this recipe.
I like my pancakes thick, maybe because crepes are so not my thing. But if you prefer thinner pancakes then add little more milk to the batter.
The batter for these healthy pancakes is on a lumpy side. So while folding the ingredients together do not try too hard to smoothen out the lumps formed, else the result will be flat and chewy pancakes.
If you are in a mood to go for little calorie splurge than add chocolate chips to make whole wheat chocolate chip pancakes. Even the addition of fresh chopped berries (blueberries, strawberries, etc) to the batter is also a great idea.
Tips To Make Perfect Whole Wheat Pancakes:
- To prepare the buttermilk, use room temperature milk. And make sure all the ingredients for the pancakes are at room temperature. Cold ingredients make the texture of the pancakes bit tough.
- Do not mix the batter for too long. Else, you might end up in chewy pancakes. The moment all the ingredients are combined well and no streaks of flour remain in the batter, stop mixing.
- Allow the batter to rest for 5 minutes before making the pancakes. Be assured this trick will always yield soft and fluffy pancakes.
- Let the air bubbles appear on the surface of the pancakes while cooking then only flip it to cook from the other side (you can see the same in the video as well).
There are zillion ways to serve these pancakes. But few of my favorite are:
- drizzle a good quality organic honey over the piping hot pancakes and serve them immediately.
- a tablespoon of butter followed by the drizzle of honey.
- a good drizzle of natural maple syrup.
- honey and fresh seasonal fruits/berries.
- peanut butter and maple syrup
- Nutella and freshly whipped cream
- chocolate sauce and maple syrup
Watch Whole Wheat Pancakes Recipe Video:
More Breakfast Recipes For You:
If you try this recipe and love it, please leave a comment and a rating. This helps us grow and reach many other food lovers like you, who are looking for a perfect tried and tested recipe.
Healthy Whole Wheat Pancakes
- 1 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 egg at room temperature
- a pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon olive oil buy it here
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar optional
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
How To Make Buttermilk For Pancakes
- 1 Cup milk at room temperature
- 1 tsp white vinegar/lemon juice
How To Serve Pancakes
- Organic honey
- 1 tablespoon butter
How To Make Buttermilk
- To prepare the pancake, first prepare the buttermilk.
- In milk stir vinegar or lemon juice, let it sit at room temperature for 5 – 10 minutes. You will notice milk will cuddle. This is the buttermilk you require for the pancake.
How To Prepare Batter
- Next sift together flour, baking powder, soda, salt, brown sugar in a mixing bowl.
- Whisk together in a separate bowl egg, buttermilk, olive oil and vanilla essence for 5 minute or till combined well.
- Now make well in the centre of the flour mixture, add the liquid ingredients and gently fold till all combined well. No streaks of flour should remain in the batter.
- Let the batter rest for 5 – 10 minutes.
How To Make Pancakes
- Heat non stick pancake pan ( buy it here ) over medium heat.
- Grease it with a teaspoon of butter. Pour a large spoonful of batter in the pan. If the batter is not spreading around, gently spread it with the back of the spoon.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips over the pancakes.
- Cook on one side till air bubbles appear on top and edges turn brown.
- Flip the pancake and cook from the other side. Similarly, cook the remaining pancakes.
How To Serve Pancakes
- Serve the Whole Wheat Pancakes with a drizzle of honey and butter.
- You can serve pancakes with fresh fruits.