Matar Poha Recipe is one of the most loved Indian breakfast recipes. In different parts of India, this simple breakfast dish has various names – Chura Matar, Banarasi Chura Matar, Vegetable Poha or Kanda Poha. Each version of poha recipe is equally delicious and has a distinct taste to it. Light on the stomach and perfectly simple to prepare matar poha is one of our favourite all-time Indian breakfast dishes. Or I should say matar poha recipe gets the unanimous family vote of the best weekend breakfast.
What is poha?
Poha is the Indian name for flattened rice or rice flakes. In many parts of the country, they are also known as chura. The flattened rice flakes are commonly used in the Indian sub-continent to prepare breakfast, snacks or desserts. Matar Poha Recipe or Banarasi Chura Matar is the Indian breakfast dish prepared using the flattened rice flakes.
How To Make Poha?
There are many ways to cook flattened rice. The most common one is to prepare a simple Indian breakfast dish – poha. An utterly simple dish that requires few basic ingredients and yet it is one of the most delightful breakfast. One thing that I love most about the poha recipe is – it is a flexible dish. I mean one can totally customize it as per their preference.
Like during the winter season I tend to add tons of fresh green peas in the poha or on other occasions, finely diced potatoes are added. At times, I prepare it only with the sliced onions as they call it kanda poha. There can be an infinite combination of vegetables and flattened rice. How do I like my matar poha? Undoubtedly with tons of fresh green peas. Whenever I am making poha the ratio of flattened rice and green peas is 1:1.
Also, try – 10 Best Indian Breakfast Recipes
There are few accompaniments that are must be served with poha – chai, green chutney and aloo bhujia. The right way to plate a poha is to cover it with a generous layer of aloo bhujia followed by a drizzle of chutney and lemon juice. This gluten-free and vegan-friendly Indian breakfast recipe can also be served as a tea-time snack with a hot cup of masala tea. I love the dishes that double as an excellent breakfast and a fulfilling evening snack. On a busy weekday, I prepare a large batch of matar poha. Why? Some of it we enjoy as breakfast, the leftover is packed for his office snack box and the last one bowl is saved to accompany my evening cup of green tea (since I don’t drink milk tea).
Secret Tip To Make Perfect Matar Poha Recipe
I usually add a teaspoon of green chutney and sweet chutney while making the matar poha. Somehow, the trick always gives a unique taste to the poha. If you are not having sweet chutney in stock then add a little bit of white granulated sugar in the poha. I am sure you will feel the delicious difference in the taste.
Watch Step By Step Matar Poha Recipe Video:
For more such fun recipes in your life, follow along on Facebook, Instagram, or subscribe to our Youtube Channel.
If you try this poha recipe and love it, please leave a comment and a rating. This helps us grow and reach many other food lovers like you, who are looking for a perfect tried and tested recipe.
Matar Poha (Chura Matar)
- 2 Cup Flattened rice (Poha)
- 1 Cup fresh green peas (Matar)
- 2 medium-size onion sliced
- 1 - 2 green chillies sliced
- 2 teaspoon mustard seeds (rai)
- 1 sprig of curry leaves
- 1/4 Cup peanuts
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- 1 teaspoon green chutney
- 4 tablespoon cooking oil
- few chopped coriander leaves
- Juice of one lemon
- Place the poha in a metal colander and rinse with water.Once the poha is moistened nicely. Set aside. Do not rinse the poha for too long else it will turn mushy.Heat oil in a heavy bottom kadai. Add the mustard seeds and fry till the mustard splutters.Add curry leaves and green chillies to the oil, fry for one minute.Now add the onions peanut and fry for 1 - 2 minute.Next, add the sliced onion and fry till they are lightly golden.Add the green peas and fry nicely for next 5 minutes.Season with salt, sugar and spices. Stir to combine.Once the green peas are nicely cooked add the softened poha.Add fresh coriander, lemon juice and green chutney. Mix nicely and cover the pan with a lid.Allow the poha to cook for 2 - 3 minutes covered for the flavours to combine well. Turn off the heat.Serve Matar Poha for breakfast or as a tea time snack topped with aloo bhujia.