Vermicelli Upma is a terrific easy to prepare Indian breakfast recipe. It is super simple to prepare and fits perfectly under the criteria of an ultimate comfort breakfast cum snack. Don’t shy away from making a little extra helping of semiya upma and enjoying it with your evening cup of tea. Serve it with mint and coriander chutney for that extra oomph flavor.
On busy weekdays I am not much in favor of time taking breakfast recipes. Keeping it simple, wholesome, and fulfilling is my main parameter while planning breakfast.
The vegetable semiya upma perfectly qualifies all these criteria of a fast and quick totally delicious Indian breakfast.
With each season the ingredients of my vermicelli upma also keep changing. During the winters, it is loaded with bright and shiny vegetables – green peas, carrot, beans, etc. But around hot summer days, we like to keep it minimal. So many possibilities.
My favorite is lemon semiya upma with only peanuts, cashews, a lot of lemon juice and fresh coriander. Plain and refreshing!
Did I mention earlier that this vermicelli upma is lunchbox friendly as well? The best part about this breakfast recipe is you can do some of the preparation work for it during the night itself. Like, chop the vegetables (except potato), keep them in an airtight container or a ziplock bag and store in the fridge.
Usually, I boil the vermicelli as well during the night, toss it gently in a teaspoon of cooking oil and keep it in the fridge.
Last-minute, all you need to do is cook the upma and that does not take more than 20 minutes. A light and delicious breakfast is on the table without spending hours in the kitchen.
Watch Vermicelli Upma Recipe Video:
What are some easy to make ‘healthy’ Indian breakfast food?
There are many Indian breakfast recipes that can be easily prepared with a few basic ingredients, are wholesome and absolutely healthy.
Here are few ‘healthy’ Indian breakfast food recipe ideas:
If you try this recipe and love it, please leave a comment and a rating. This helps us grow and reach many other food lovers like you, who are looking for a perfect tried and tested recipe.
Vermicelli Upma Recipe
- 2 Cup vermicelli (semiya)
- 2 teaspoon cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds (rai)
- 1 teaspoon urad dal (skinned)
- 1/4 Cup peanuts
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 medium-size onion, fine chopped
- 1/4 Cup potato, peeled and fine chopped
- 1/4 Cup green peas
- 1/4 Cup carrot, peeled and fine chopped
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
- Juice of one lemon
How To Boil Vermicelli (Semiya):
- Add 4 cups of water in a large saucepan. Turn on the gas stove.Once water starts boiling, add vermicelli. Stir and cook for 10 minutes or until softened. Transfer to a metal colander. Drain all the water. Rinse vermicelli nicely with cold or running water. Drizzle a teaspoon of oil and mix. Set aside till required.
How To Make Semiya Upma:
- Heat oil in a kadhai or pan.
- Add mustard seeds. Allow them to crackle.
- Add urad dal and fry for few seconds or till turn light golden in colour.
- Next, add the peanut and fry for a minute.
- Now add the curry leaves and onion. Fry till onion turn light golden in colour.
- Add mix vegetable, salt, spices and stir to combine. Cover and cook till the vegetables are tender.
- Once vegetables are cooked, add boiled vermicelli and gently mix all the ingredients together.
- Drizzle lemon juice and sprinkle fresh coriander leaves. Mix nicely.
- Serve Vermicelli Upma with green chutney and a hot cup of tea.
- Add vermicelli in the water only when it is a roaring boil. Do not add vermicelli before that stage.
- Vermicelli or semiya does not take too long to get cooked. So while boiling keep checking them for doneness. Usually, vermicelli does not take more than 10 minutes to get perfectly boiled.