Lauki Ki Kheer is a delicious, perfectly creamy Indian dessert made with bottle gourd, sugar, and milk. Light on the stomach and big on flavors, Lauki Ki Kheer is a 100% gluten-free dessert. Serve it chilled or warm and don’t forget to sprinkle a generous helping of pistachio just before serving.
The magic is the combination of thickened milk and the bottle gourd, which in turn results in an utterly luscious pudding.
Lauki Ki Kheer is one of those recipes you should bookmark for the festive occasions and family dinners. Everybody in the family equally loves it to the core.
When it comes to Indian festivals we prefer sticking to conventional desserts to complement the celebratory mood. And what could be a better way to end a festive meal than a traditional Indian dessert such as Lauki Ki Kheer.
Tips For Making Perfect Lauki Ki Kheer:
Use full cream milk to make the kheer or any other Indian desserts. The end result is so much better than toned milk.
Avoid using any corn flour or thickening agent to get the thick consistency of the kheer. Instead, allow the milk to simmer over low heat until it reduces to almost half of the original amount.
Keep stirring the milk while simmering at regular intervals for two reasons, one to avoid burning of the milk, and second to collect the layer of cream and add it back to the milk. This way you will surely get a luscious and creamy kheer.
Add cardamom and saffron while simmering the milk. So that the flavor and aroma get nicely infused in the milk.
Always add sugar towards the end. Once you add the sugar the milk stops thickening.
Watch Lauki Kheer Recipe Video:
More Kheer Recipes For You:
Sheer Khurma (Seviyan Kheer)
If you try this recipe and love it, please leave a comment and a rating. This helps us grow and reach many other food lovers like you, who are looking for a perfect tried and tested recipe.
Lauki Ki Kheer Recipe
- 1 medium-size bottle gourd lauki
- 1 litre milk
- 1/2 Cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp saffron kesar soaked in 1 tbsp milk
- 1/2 tsp cardamom powder
- 1 tbsp ghee
Ingredients for garnishing
- 1 tsp sliced pistachio
- Peel, wash and grate and the bottle gourd.
- Squeeze all the water from the grated bottle gourd.
- Next heat ghee in a heavy bottom pan.
- Add the grated bootle gourd and roast over low heat for 5 – 10 minutes. Keep stirring. Turn off the heat.
- Meanwhile in a heavy bottom saucepan heat milk.
- Add the cardamom powder and stir to combine.
- Let the milk come to a boil once and then reduce the heat to low.
- Add the soaked saffron strands and stir to combine.
- Allow the milk to simmer over low heat till it reduces to half the original amount.
- Add the grated lauki and cook till the milk thickens. Keep stirring continuously.
- Add sugar and cook for 5 more minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Garnish with sliced pistachio before serving.
- Serve Lauki Ki Kheer chilled or warm.