Eggless Brownies are for those of my friends who are into eggless baking. Let’s prove that eggless brownies can be the ultimate fudgy and chocolatey. Serve them with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for a cafe-style brownie indulgence at home.
Why Eggless Brownies?
Why on earth one would need an eggless brownie recipe? Because many chocolate brownie lovers are allergic to eggs, avoid eggs due to dietary restrictions or due to certain personal choices.
An egg-free diet is a common religious practice in India. Hence, we eggless mousse and brownie recipe.
From time to time many of blog readers also keep on requesting for eggless baking recipes which are not so frequent in my kitchen until and unless I am baking for somebody who does not eat eggs. Like I did a few months back for one of my family friend.
The eggless brownies were so decadent that they not only asked for the recipe but got the leftover brownie packed for home.
If you cannot imagine a brownie without eggs try my classic chocolate brownie recipe (with eggs).
What kind of chocolate is ideal for making brownies? Unsweetened or bittersweet or semi-sweet DARK CHOCOLATE is the answer. Stay away from milk chocolate for making brownies.
If you need fudgy and chewy cafe style brownies, use the best available quality dark chocolate.
The cocoa powder or sweet milk chocolate CANNOT substitute dark chocolate in this brownie recipe. We have used a combination of dark chocolate and cocoa powder in this eggless brownie recipe.
Chewy, Fudgy and Cakey Brownies…
These are all the terms used to describe the texture of the brownies. And each one of them describe a different type of brownie.
Chewy and fudgy brownies have a lot of butter, eggs, dark chocolate, and less amount of flour. the texture is a bit dense.
Whereas cakey brownies usually have a chocolate cake like fluffy and moist texture and cocoa powder.
Step-By-Step Eggless Brownie Recipe
Add butter and chocolate in a microwave safe bowl. Heat in the microwave for 20 – 30 seconds. Stir the melted butter and chocolate with a spatula to make sure the mixture is silky smooth and lump free.
Add yogurt, sugar, and vanilla essence in the liquid chocolate mixture. Whisk for 2 – 3 minutes to combine all the ingredients nicely. Once combined, set the bowl aside.
Sift the flour, baking powder, cocoa powder, and coffee powder together in a separate bowl. Mix using a spatula.
Add the sifted flour mixture into the liquid chocolate in small batches. Gently cut and fold the batter using a spatula untill all moistened and combined well. Do not mix the batter for too long.
Add chopped walnuts and fold them into the batter.
Pour the brownie batter into the prepared tin and bake for 20 – 25 minutes. Check the brownies for doneness via inserting a toothpick after 20 minutes.
FAQ’s Related To Eggless Brownies
What is the best cocoa powder to use?
Unsweetened Cocoa Powder is the best to make brownies. Here are a few factors to consider while buying a cocoa powder:
- Colour – The color of cocoa powder should be pale chocolaty, i.e. a warm shade of bronze color. It should turn into dark brown after baking.
- Taste – The original taste of the cocoa powder is bitter and should have a rich texture.
- Fragrance – The fragrance should be a little strong and should be similar to a plain chocolate bar.
How can I soften hard brownies?
If you are wondering how to soften a hard brownie, wrap each brownie piece with a damp paper towel to add moisture. Place into the microwave and heat for about 5 – 6 seconds. Check to see if the brownies are softened, else repeat for another 5 seconds. By doing this, your brownies will turn soft instantly.
Can I freeze brownies?
Yes, you can freeze brownies for up to 3 months. Cool the brownies completely and wrap tightly in a plastic wrap, then wrap again with silver foil and store in the freezer. While freezing the brownies, do not cut them into individual pieces. Cut them just before serving, after the brownie has come down to the room temperature.
Watch Eggless Brownies Recipe Video:
More Chocolate Recipes For You:
If you try this recipe and love it, please leave a comment and a rating. This helps us grow and reach many other food lovers like you, who are looking for a perfect tried and tested recipe.
Eggless Brownies Recipe
- 140 gram butter, softened
- 200 gram (1 Cup) dark unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1 Cup all-purpose flour (maida)
- 1 Cup yogurt or curd
- 3/4 Cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 Cup castor sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee powder
- 1/2 Cup chopped walnuts
- Add butter and chocolate in a microwave safe bowl. Heat in the microwave for 20 – 30 seconds. Stir the melted butter and chocolate with a spatula to make sure the mixture is silky smooth and lump free.
- Add yogurt, sugar, and vanilla essence in the liquid chocolate mixture. Whisk for 2 – 3 minutes to combine all the ingredients nicely. Once combined, set the bowl aside.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, cocoa powder, and coffee powder together in a separate bowl. Mix using a spatula.
- Add the sifted flour mix into the liquid chocolate in small batches. Gently cut and fold the batter using a spatula untill all moistened and combined well. Do not mix the batter for too long.
- Add chopped walnuts and fold them into the batter.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degree celcius. Grease an 8 inch square tin and line it with a parchment paper.
- Pour the brownie batter into the prepared tin and bake for 20 – 25 minutes. Check the brownies for doness via inserting a toothpick after 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool. Cut into squares and serve hot with vanilla ice cream.
- Make sure all the ingredients are at room temperature and not cold.
- Do not heat the chocolate for more than a minute in the microwave. You can use a double boiler as well to melt the butter and chocolate.
- Yogurt should be thick and plain in taste.
- Use unsweetened cocoa powder and chocolate for this brownie recipe. Else, adjust the amount of sugar accordingly.
- Do not bake the brownies for too long. They taste best when slightly gooey in the center.