For more such fun recipes in your life, follow along on Facebook, Instagram, or subscribe to our Youtube Channel.
How to make Eggless Chocolate and Walnut Scones:
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 100 g cold butter cut into small cubes
- 1/2 cup buttermilk you may require even lesser
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips or dark chocolate roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp light brown sugar for sprinkling on top
- Preheat the oven to 180C degrees. Line a 9 inch pie dish with parchment paper.
- Combine the flour, white sugar, baking powder, and baking soda in the bowl with a wire whisk.
- Add the butter and rub it flour and butter gently with your fingers until it has bread crumb like texture. This can be done in a food processor as well pulse butter and dry ingredients for 15 minutes.
- Transfer the dough to a bowl and stir in the cranberries, walnuts, chocolate chips and vanilla.
- Stir in the buttermilk until just moistened. Bring the dough together with your hands. If the dough is still too crumbly, stir in more buttermilk a tiny splash at a time, but try to avoid over mixing.
- Transfer the dough into pie dish and pat into an 8-inch (20 cm) round with thickness of 1/2 inch. Use a pastry scraper to divide the dough into 8 big size wedges or 12 sleek wedges. Brush the tops of each wedge with the beaten egg white (optional) & generously sprinkle with light brown sugar.
- Bake the scones for 25 minutes, or until the tops are golden brown. Re cut the slices immediately with a pastry cutter if need be.
- Cool the scones completely on a rack before storing.
Do not add all the buttermilk at a time. Use as much required to bring the dough together.
Scone dough is bit sticky. If it is difficult to handle sprinkle a teaspoon of flour.
Do not knead the dough once it comes together.