Mango Lassi is a low-fat creamy, Indian-style mango smoothie. This gluten-free smoothie is made with mango pulp, yogurt, sugar, a dash of cardamom, and saffron. Mango Lassi is the perfect drink for summers when juicy mangoes are in season and at their ripest best.
Who doesn’t love mangoes? The summertime is the perfect season to indulge in the goodness of mango recipes.
Indian mango lassi is one of the quickest ways to enjoy the sweet, ripe mangoes available during the season.
What is Lassi?
Lassi is an Indian-style smoothie prepared with fresh yogurt (curd), sugar, and cardamom. Unlike my mango smoothie recipe, the lassi is a yogurt-based drink and not milk. Hence, it is considered good for your gut because of the probiotic bacteria in the yogurt.
Traditionally, lassi has its origin in Punjab, where it is prepared without a blender by churning the curd manually till the cream floats to the top.
Each serving of the lassi is then topped with a generous bit of this milk cream (malai), crushed dry fruits, and saffron.
In the Indian subcontinent, lassi is also known as ‘sweet lassi’ or meethi lassi. It is a refreshing decoction of curd, sugar, water, and a hint of cardamom or dry fruits. The salty version of lassi is known as ‘namkeen lassi’ or buttermilk (chaas).
Reasons to LOVE Mango Lassi
packed with dietary fiber, Vitamin D, and probiotic bacteria.
excellent low-calorie, gluten-free summer drink
keeps you full and energetic for hours.
gut-friendly mango drink.
Type Of Mango: Mangoes come in several different varieties as anyone living in the tropics would know – ripe mangoes with a sweet taste are best for making mango lassi, mango shake or mango ice cream.
TIP: The aroma of mango should be full-bodied and sweet. This is always a sign of a good-tasting mango. Needless to say, the skin must be smooth in shades of yellow and with minimum blemishes. You can use canned or frozen mango pulp as well for this lassi recipe.
Yogurt: Try to use thick, creamy, plain yogurt for making the lassi like the Greek Yogurt. Some lassi recipes use milk and yogurt – this is to reduce the thickness and tanginess of the curd. If you want a traditional Indian lassi use only curd (preferably made from full-fat milk).
Sweetener: To sweeten the mango lassi, one can use granulated white sugar, honey, vanilla ice cream, or mango ice cream. At times, the natural sweetness of the mango and curd are sufficient. Hence, always taste lassi before adding any sweetener or sugar.
Vegan Mango Lassi: Replace yogurt with almond milk or vegan coconut yogurt. For a creamy texture, freeze the mango pulp for few hours before making the smoothie. The frozen mango pulp and the chilled almond milk will surely yield a delicious vegan lassi.
Watch Mango Lassi Recipe Video
Mango Lassi can be easily stored in the fridge for 3 – 4 days. There is no change in the taste or texture of the lassi.
You can freeze lassi for 2 – 3 months. Transfer lassi to a freezer-friendly zip lock bag and store it in the freezer. At room temperature, it needs to be consumed immediately as the yogurt might turn sour.
More Indian Drink Recipes:
If you try this recipe and love it, please leave a comment and a rating. This helps us grow and reach many other food lovers like you, who are looking for a perfect tried and tested recipe.
Mango Lassi Recipe
- 1 Cup sweet mango pulp (fresh or canned)
- 1 Cup plain yogurt (curd), chilled
- ¼ Cup milk, chilled
- granulated white sugar, to taste
- 1 teaspoon green cardamom powder (elaichi powder)
- ¼ teaspoon saffron (kesar)
- 5 – 6 ice-cubes
- Soak saffron in a tablespoon of milk for 3 – 5 minutes
- Combine mango pulp, yogurt, milk, sugar, cardamom powder and saffron in a blender.
- Blend until smooth. Taste and add more sugar if required. Add ice cubes and blend for a second.
- Serve mango lassi chilled.
- Canned mangoes usually come with sugar syrup, in that case, do not add additional
sweeteners to the mix without prior tasting.
- Don’t use sour curd; it will ruin the balance of flavors in Lassi.
- Adding milk is optional.
- You can add approximately ¼ cup of condensed milk while blending, to make lassi even more thick and delicious
- If you want to add to the indulgence, serve with a spoonful of thick cream on
top or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- A drizzle of rose water or rose essence adds a burst of freshness, do try it out