One mundane day my friend dragged me to one of the Bengali restaurants, with no charm or fascination for the place I went along just to accompany her. It was 11:00 am in the morning while I was about to order the regular Aloo Poshto and Luchi a timid young lad came and asked if we like to try Nolen Gur ice cream, at first instance his question sound odd and was dropped on us out of the blue, but sometimes it is hard to dishearten somebody at such early hours of the day. Within a few minutes of our approval, he came back with two bowls full of Nolen Gur ice cream, it was for the first time I was starting my day with a scoop of ice cream. With much apprehension, I tasted one spoonful of it and that was my first introduction with Nolen Gur, which was definitely a memorable one.
If you try this recipe and love it, please leave a comment and a rating. This helps us grow and reach many other food lovers like you, who are looking for a perfect tried and tested recipe.
Garam Masala Spiced Gingerbread Cake Recipe
- 2 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoon Garam Masala includes nutmeg and cinnamon
- 120 g butter softened, plus more for greasing pan
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 teaspoon baking soda
- ⅔ cup dark-brown sugar
- 1 cup Nolen Gur melted or in liquid form
- 2 inch piece of ginger peeled and grated
- 2 eggs at room temperature
- Preheat oven to 170 degree celsius for 10 minutes. Meanwhile grease one 10-inch cake pan with butter and line the base with parchment paper, set aside.
- In a pan boil water along with grated ginger, boil for 5 minutes so that aroma of ginger is infused in water. Combine baking soda in water and set aside.
- With electric beater cream butter until light and fluffy for about 3 – 4 minutes. Beat in brown sugar until fluffy. Add Nolen Gur and beat for another 2 – 3 minutes. Now add ginger infused boiled water and eggs. Make sure water has become lukewarm before adding else eggs will get poached.
- Beat the liquid mixture for 5 minutes at medium speed.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, Garam Masala and baking powder. Add sifted dry ingredients to liquid mixture in three batches folding batter gently each time to combine.
- Pour batter into prepared pan; bake for 35 minutes. After 35 minutes insert a toothpick in the center if it comes out clean, cake is ready else bake for 5 to 10 minutes more.
- Let cool on a wire rack in the cake pan for 15 minutes. Transfer to a large plate. Cut into squares; dust with confectioners’ sugar.
- Serve Garam Masala Spiced Gingerbread Cake with whipped cream and black coffee.