I am sharing 8 vegetarian salad jar recipes that are perfect for GRAB & GO power jars. Each one of them is unique and full of flavours.
What is Salad Jar?
A salad jar is a cool and practical way of packing salad. With dressing at the bottom of the jar topped with layers of protein, veggies, and delicate greens at the topmost, the salad jar is the best hack for packing a salad for office lunch. It works exceptionally well for those who frequently work long hours at a desk or travel.
You can follow my detailed Salad in a Jar 101 Guide to understand the basic thumb rules, do’s and don’t to prepare and pack salad in a jar like a pro.
Salad Jar Recipes
If you follow me on Instagram, you will learn about my viral salad jar recipe series. Each of those salad recipes is loved and saved by thousands of you. This series has been a total joy ride.
1) Mixed Beans Salad Jar: Colorful, crunchy, wholesome, and healthy are the right words to define my Mexican Style Mixed Beans Salad!
USP: Vegan, High Protein, Gluten Free
Meal Prep Tip: Boil the beans over the weekend and store them in the refrigerator. You can use canned beans as well.
Salad Dressing: ¼ Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil + Juice of 1 lime + 1 teaspoon crushed garlic + 1 teaspoon Dijon Mustard + Salt & Pepper
2) Brown Chana Salad Jar: You will surely fall in love with this vegetarian brown chickpea salad.
USP: Vegetarian, Gluten Free, Nut Free, High Protein
Meal Prep Tip: Boil the brown chickpeas in advance and store them in the refrigerator.
Dressing: ¼ Cup Mint Leaves + ¼ Cup Coriander Leaves + ½ Cup Greek Yogurt + 2 Garlic Cloves + ⅛ Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil + Salt & Pepper
3) Lentil Salad Jar is a wholesome, nutritious, fulfilling Mediterranean-style salad. Keep it simple, or make it sexy. Either way, you are going to love it.
USP: Vegetarian, Nut Free, Gluten Free
Meal Prep Tip: Boil and store lentils in the refrigerator. Canned lentils also work for this salad recipe.
Salad Dressing: ¼ Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil + Juice of 1 lime + 1 teaspoon crushed garlic + 1 teaspoon Dijon Mustard + ½ teaspoon Oregano + Salt & Pepper
4) Pesto Pasta Salad Jar: This delicious vegetarian pasta salad recipe is packed with basil and walnut pesto flavour.
Meal Prep Tip: You can store boiled pasta in the refrigerator for 2 – 3 days.
Salad Dressing: Basil Walnut Pesto
5) Macaroni Salad Jar has my favourite elbow pasta (macaroni), fresh summer veggies, cheese, and a creamy dressing that makes everything taste good.
USP: Vegetarian, Nut Free
Meal Prep Tip: You can store boiled macaroni in the refrigerator for 2 – 3 days.
Salad Dressing: 1 Cup mayonnaise + ½ Cup parmesan cheese + ¼ Cup extra virgin olive oil + 1 tablespoon wine vinegar + Juice of 1 lime + 2 garlic cloves + 1 teaspoon oregano + Salt & Pepper
6) Crispy Tofu Salad Jar: With a truckload of colourful vegetables, this Asian-style salad is an edible rainbow.
USP: Vegan, High Protein
Meal Prep Tip: Marinate the tofu and keep it in the refrigerator.
Salad Dressing: 4 tablespoon peanut butter + 1 tablespoon light soy sauce + 2 tablespoon sesame oil + 1 tablespoon red chili sauce + 1 tablespoon lime juice + 1 teaspoon crushed garlic + Salt
Crispy Tofu Salad Recipe
- Stir Fry Pan
Ingredients For Crispy Tofu
- 200 gram firm tofu cut into cubes
- ¼ Cup light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- ½ teaspoon salt or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper powder
- 1 tablespoon corn flour (corn starch)
Ingredients For Dressing:
- 4 tablespoon creamy peanut butter
- 2 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon light soya sauce
- 1 tablespoon red chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
Other Salad Ingredients:
- ½ Cup finely shredded purple cabbage
- ½ Cup diced cucumber
- ½ Cup diced red bell pepper
- ½ Cup shredded carrot
- ½ Cup fine chopped spring onion greens
- ¼ Cup roasted peanuts
Make Crispy Tofu
- Firmly press the tofu with a paper towel to drain all the moisture/water. Make sure tofu is completely dry. Then cut into cubes.
- Combine tofu cubes with soy sauce, oyster sauce, garlic paste, red chili powder, salt, and pepper. Marinate for 30 minutes at least or at best overnight.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of sesame oil in a pan. Fry marinated tofu till crisp and golden. Transfer to a bowl. Allow to cool down.
- Add all the ingredients for dressing in a jar. Shake well to combine or use a wire whisk.
- Combine all the vegetables, crispy tofu, herbs, and pour dressing over the salad. Mix nicely. Sprinkle crushed peanuts and enjoy!
7) Barley Salad Jar: This salad recipe is inspired by Mediterranean tabbouleh or Shirazi salad, where all the ingredients are finely chopped and tossed in a simple vinaigrette. The addition of pearl barley makes it wholesome and fulfilling.
USP: Vegan, Nut Free
Meal Prep Tip: Boil the barley, drain the liquid, allow it to cool, and store in the refrigerator for 3 – 4 days.
Salad Dressing: ¼ Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil + Juice of 1 lime + 1 teaspoon crushed garlic + 1 teaspoon Italian herbs + Salt & Pepper
8) Chickpea Quinoa Salad Jar: This wholesome, lemony Chickpea Quinoa Salad is bursting with Middle Eastern flavours. Healthy and power-packed, this salad is truly satisfying!
USP: Gluten-Free, Vegetarian
Meal Prep Tip: Boil the barley and chickpeas separately, drain the liquid, allow to cool them and store in the refrigerator for 3 – 4 days. Canned Chickpeas are good too.
Salad Dressing: ¼ Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil + Juice of 1 lime + 1 teaspoon crushed garlic + 1 teaspoon Za’tar Spice Mix + Salt & Pepper