If you try this recipe and love it, please leave a comment and hit those star rating buttons. This helps us grow and reach many other food lovers like you, who are looking for a perfect tried and tested recipe.
Lal Mirch ka Achaar is red chilli pickle stuffed with homemade spice mix soaked in mustard oil. Learn how to make delicious lal mirch ka achaar.
- 10 medium size thick red chilies
- 1/4 Cup mustard oil
- 2 tbsp mustard oil
- 2 tbsp amchoor powder
- 1 tbsp red chilly powder
- 3 tbsp black mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds
- 1 tbsp fenugreek seeds
- 1 tbsp ajwain seeds
- 2 tsp kalonji seeds nigella seeds
- 2 tbsp salt or to taste
- To prepare chilies for the pickle wash, wipe with a kitchen towel and sun dry for 1 – 2 hours to completely dry them.
- While chilies are sun drying prepare the masala. Add all the masala in grinder jar except mustard oil and blend to make a coarse powder. Once masala is powdered mix in mustard oil and mix nicely with a spoon.
- Wear surgical gloves or kitchen gloves if your skin is sensitive to chilies.
- With a sharp knife cut off the crown of the chilly and slit in between lengthwise half way through leaving intact from the lower end. Using knife hollow out the innards of the chilies, including all the seeds and the veins.
- Now stuff each chilly with the masala. I filled masala with my fingers to evenly stuff the chilly with masala.
- Arrange all the chilies in clean, dry jar. Drizzle mustard oil from top over the chilies in jar.
- Seal the jar with lid and keep in the sun. Pickle takes 2 – 3 days in bright sun to get ready.
- You can drizzle some more oil into each chilly everyday.
- Once ready pickle can be stored at room temperature for 1 year.
Always keep water away from pickles even a single droplet of water is enough to spoil the entire pickle.
Adapted from Banaras Ka Khana