Instant Rava Paniyaram is an ultimate South Indian tea time snack. This paniyaram recipe is packed with my favorite ingredient – cheese. Crazy crispy on the outside and totally mouth-melting inside – this instant suji appe is all you need with a cup of filter coffee. Serve them with my signature coconut and coriander chutney to spice up the mood of the snack table.
What is appe (paniyaram)?
Appe or paniyaram is a popular South Indian snack. It can be sweet or savory. There is a variety of paniyaram recipe in South Indian cuisine. From rice flour, idli dosa batter to suji (rava), an appe can be prepared with so many different ingredients.
Instant Paniyaram Recipe…
I love snack recipes which have flexible and instant written all over them. And paniyaram recipe has quick and easy written all over it. Another addition to my instant snack recipe collection.
Unlike traditional rice appe or urad dal appe, for instant appe we do not need to grind or ferment the batter. The mixture of semolina and curd takes 10 minutes to come together and the addition of cooking soda ferments it instantly.
How To Customize Instant Paniayaram?
One of the reasons I think you will grow in love with this rava paniyaram recipe is how adaptable it is. Though my appe recipe emphasis on using certain ingredients you can make it totally yours by adding desired flavors and vegetables.
These are few of the many permutation and combinations to make paniyaram even more delicious and personalized as per your liking:
Vegetable Choices – chopped onion or spinach, grated carrot, chopped spinach or broccoli
Seasoning Choices – Italian herbs, chopped garlic, red chili flakes, Indian spices
Add-ons – Grated Cheese, boiled sweet corn, grated coconut, chopped coriander
What to serve with appe?
From vegetable sambar, coconut chutney to mint chutney one can serve these suji balls with anything delicious. Appe can be enjoyed without any side-dish with a cup of tea or filter coffee as well. In many South Indian households, appe is served with meat or fish curries as well.
Did I tell you rava paniyaram makes a great lunchbox snack as well? This is one of my all-time favorite South Indian breakfast recipes only for two reasons – super simple to prepare and damn delicious in taste.
Watch Paniyaram Recipe Video in Hindi:
Other Indian Snack Recipes You Might Like To Try:
For more such fun recipes in your life subscribe to our Youtube Channel.
If you try this recipe and love it, please leave a comment and a rating. This helps us grow and reach many other food lovers like you, who are looking for a perfect tried and tested recipe.
Instant Rava Paniyaram Recipe
Ingredients For Paniyaram Batter:
- 1 Cup semolina (suji/rava) sooji/rava
- 1 1/2 Cup curd (yogurt), at room temperature
- salt to taste
- 2 tablespoon ghee or cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds (rai)
- 1 teaspoon white urad dal (dhuli urad)
- 6 – 8 curry leaves
- 1/2 Cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 Cup grated cheese (any variety)
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 2 tablespoon finely chopped coriander
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon cooking soda or baking soda
- Combine semolina and curd in a bowl. Mix nicely to form a lump-free batter. Set aside for 5 – 10 minutes.
- Heat oil/ghee in a frying pan or kadhai. Add mustard seeds, urad dal, and curry leaves. Fry for a minute or until seeds starts spluttering.
- Next, add chopped onion and fry till the onion turn light golden in color.
- Pour this tempering over the semolina batter along with grated cheese, coriander, and red chili powder. Combine nicely.
- If the batter seems too thick, add one or two tablespoons of water to get the idli-dosa batter-like consistency.
- Heat a non-stick paniyaram/appe pan with one drop of oil in each mold or you can brush each cavity with oil.
- Meanwhile, add cooking soda in the batter and whisk the mixture in one direction until the batter starts frothing.
- Now spoon one tablespoon of batter in each mold of the paniyaram pan.
- Cover and cook for 2 – 3 minutes. Check for doneness and flip using a fork/skewer/spoon to the other side. Cook from the other side for 2 – 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Similarly, prepare the rest of the paniyaram.
- Serve Instant Rava Paniyaram with coconut chutney ( see recipe ).
- Try to use non-stick paniyaram pan ( buy it here ). It requires less oil and is easy to clean as well.
- Similarly, you can prepare paniyaram with the idli-dosa batter as well. Just skip adding cooking soda.
- In case your measuring cups and spoons are not in reach don’t worry. As long the consistency of the batter is similar to idli-dosa batter be assured you will savor delish paniyaram.
- If the batter seems too thick add one or two tablespoons of water to get the dropping consistency.
- Without adding soda the batter can be stored in the fridge for 2 – 3 days. Every time before using bring it to room temperature.