I am sharing a delicious aloo tikki recipe you can eat while fasting. Learn how to make no onion garlic, gluten-free, aloo ki tikki in an air fryer.
About Aloo Ki Tikki
Aloo Tikki Chaat is a delicious Indian Street food of crisp potato patties loaded with curd, chutney, and spices. It is one of the most popular street food across the Indian subcontinent.
I am sharing a farali aloo tikki recipe you can eat while observing the Hindu fasts (vrat/upvas) during Navratri, Janmashtmi, or Shivratri.
It is a sattvic style aloo tikki without onion, garlic, regular salt, and all-purpose flour. The simple ingredients, easy cooking method, and delicious crisp texture are the USPs of this farali aloo patties.
The BEST part is you need only two tablespoons of ghee to cook these aloo patties in an air fryer.
Potato: I prefer to boil the potatoes well in advance, allow to cool, remove the skin, and keep them in the fridge. The chilled, firm, grated potatoes do some kind of magic to the texture of the cutlet, turning them into crisp goodness.
Flour: For this farali aloo tikki recipe, I use buckwheat flour (kuttu ka atta). You can use chestnut flour (singhada atta), rice flour, or regular all-purpose flour.
Nuts: Roasted Peanuts and Cashews give a delicious crunch to the aloo tikki and increase its protein value.
Fresh Herbs: Grated Ginger, Green Chili, Fresh Coriander Leaves, Curry Leaves
Seasoning: Cumin Powder, Black Pepper Powder, Rock Salt, Powdered Sugar
How To Make
Step 1) Boil the potatoes. Peel off and discard the potato skin. Grate the boiled potatoes (image 1).
Step 2) Add flour, spices, salt, sugar, green chili, peanut, cashew, coriander, and curry leaves to the grated potatoes (image 2).
Step 3) Mix nicely to form a smooth, non-sticky dough or mixture (image 3).
Step 4) To shape the aloo tikki, rub a teaspoon of ghee in your palms. Take a scoop of potato mixture. Shape it into a flat, round patty of ¼th inch thickness (image 4). Similarly, shape all the tikki and arrange them neatly on a plate.
Step 5) Brush each patty with ghee from both sides.
Step 6) Preheat the air fryer to 180 degrees Celsius. Once preheated, arrange patties on the air fryer basket.
Step 7) Air Fry for 20 minutes, turning the patties halfway through the cooking time.
For making chaat, layer the patties with sweet curd, green chutney, and tamarind chutney.
More Indian Snack Recipes
If you try this recipe and love it, please leave a comment and a rating. This helps us grow and reach other food lovers like you.
Vrat Special Aloo Tikki Recipe
- Air Fryer
- 2 Cup grated boiled potato
- ¼ Cup kuttu ka atta (buckwheat flour)
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 2 tablespoon roasted peanuts, crushed
- 2 tablespoon cashews (kaju), finely chopped
- 1 green chili chopped
- 1 teaspoon powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder (jeera powder)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper powder
- 1 teaspoon rock salt (sendha namak)
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander
- 2 tablespoon curry leaves
- 2 tablespoon ghee
- Boil the potatoes. Peel off and discard the potato skin. Grate the boiled potatoes. Transfer them into a mixing bowl.
- Add flour, spices, salt, sugar, green chili, peanut, cashew, coriander, and curry leaves to the grated potatoes.
- Mix nicely to form a smooth, non-sticky dough or mixture.
- To shape the aloo tikki, rub a teaspoon of ghee in your palms. Take a scoop of potato mixture. Shape it into a flat, round patties of ¼th inch thickness. Similarly, shape all the tikki and arrange them neatly on a plate.
- Brush each patty with ghee from both sides.
- Preheat the air fryer to 180 degrees Celsius. Once preheated, arrange aloo ki tikki on the air fryer basket.
- Air Fry for 20 minutes or till the aloo tikki is crisp and golden, turning the patties halfway through the cooking time.
- Serve vrat special aloo tikki with green chutney.
- We need firm boiled potatoes for making the patty. Hence, do not boil the potatoes for too long.
- Make sure to grate the potatoes and not mash them. This is to ensure smooth, lump-free potato dough.
- You can shallow fry aloo tikki on a pan. Heat ghee in a frying pan over medium flame. Shallow fry the potato tikki in small batches over low-medium heat till crisp and golden from both sides.
- If you are not making this aloo tikki for fasting, add ingredients like finely chopped onion, Chaat Masala, red chili powder, or regular salt for the flavor.