Mango Shrikhand is an Indian style mango yogurt made with fresh mango pulp, thick curd/yogurt, infused with aromatics like saffron, cardamom, and pistachio. This gluten-free sweet treat is an ultimate summertime delight. Homemade mango yogurt is budget-friendly, free of preservatives, and highly customizable.
Shrikhand is a popular Indian dessert from the western states of Gujarat and Maharashtra. It is made with thick cheese-like curd, saffron, and cardamom.
Mango Shrikhand is a summertime version of the dish with the addition of fresh mango puree in the curd along with other ingredients.
The marriage of natural honeyed mango puree and the hung curd is in real sense match made in heaven and a pinch of saffron, cardamom strengthens the bond between the two.
Why I love Mango Shrikhand?
It is a one-bowl recipe
no cooking required
100% natural and preservative-free
only 5 – ingredients required
Curd: Thick, creamy, sweet-tasting curd is the key ingredient for making a perfect shrikhand. In India, we tie the regular curd in a muslin cloth for 2 – 3 hours to drain all the water (whey) and get a soft cheese like curd. In the native dialect, the hung curd is known as ‘chakka‘.
During the hours when the curd is hung, it gradually transforms personality from humble slurry liquid to soft cheese, which melts in the mouth.
Mango Pulp: Sweet, ripe, fresh mango puree is the best for making mango yogurt. In tropical regions, there is a variety of delicious mango available during the summer season. Hence, pick the sweetest and the pulpiest one for making the puree.
You can use canned mango puree as well for making the shrikhand. Taste the puree and then adjust the amount of the added sugar accordingly.
Powdered Sugar: It is highly recommended to use powdered white sugar or caster sugar to combine with the yogurt. It easily dissolves in the yogurt. Always, taste mango puree and then add the sugar accordingly as per personal preference.
Saffron: A pinch of pure saffron gives a nice color, aroma, and a rich taste to the yogurt. Making it more tempting. It is optional to add saffron in the mango yogurt.
Green Cardamom: The green cardamom powder gives a sweet taste and aroma to the yogurt. In case, if you do not have cardamom powder in hand, crush 2 – 3 whole green cardamoms in a mixer or stone mortar – pestle. Use the crushed seeds to flavor the yogurt. Discard the green outer layer.
FAQ’s Related To Mango Shrikhand
Can I use mango puree to mango yogurt?
Yes, you can either use homemade mango puree or if you have no access to fully ripened mango you can buy the canned mango puree and whisk along with the hung curd to make mango yogurt.
How To Make Mango Shrikhand with Greek Yogurt?
Using Greek Yogurt fastens the process since you don’t have to hang the curd and wait for draining all the whey water. All you have to do is, open up the Greek yogurt in a mixing bowl, add mango puree, powdered sugar (optional) and cardamom powder and whisk them up together. If you have the ingredients ready, this can be a great instant dessert too!
What type of mango is best to make shrikhand?
The ‘Alphonso’ mango is the best to make any kind of dessert. It’s known for its sweetness and rich flavor. Or any other local variety of mango that has a naturally sweet taste and pulpy texture is ideal for making yogurt.
Watch Mango Shrikhand Recipe Video:
Love Mango? Try these delish mango recipes:
If you try this recipe and love it, please leave a comment and a rating. This helps us grow and reach many other food lovers like you, who are looking for a perfect tried and tested recipe.
Mango Shrikhand Recipe
- 1 litre thick curd or yogurt
- 4 ripe mangoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 teaspoon green cardamom powder
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron strands (dissolved in 2 tbsp of warm milk)
Ingredients For Garnish:
- 1 teaspoon sliced pistachio
- 1/4 cup diced mango
- Combine saffron strands in two tablespoons of lukewarm milk and set aside.
Prepare Hung Curd:
- Place a muslin cloth or clean kitchen cloth over the sieve. Pour curd in the cloth, tie the muslin cloth at a higher point in the kitchen (I use my kitchen sink tap) with a bowl placed below it to collect whey water. This way all the excess liquid will drain out from the yogurt and the end result will be thick soft cheese like hung curd.
- It usually takes 2 hours to prepare the hung curd.
How To Prepare Mango Puree:
- To prepare the mango puree, add the mango cubes in a blender. Blend till smooth. Transfer to a bowl.
How To Prepare Mango Shrikhand:
- Add the hung curd along with mango puree, cardamom powder, saffron soaked in milk, and powdered sugar. Whisk till combined well or use a hand mixer for the purpose. Make sure no lumps remain in the mango yogurt. It should be light and fluffy in texture.
- Keep the shrikhand in the fridge to chill for 2 – 3 hours before serving.
- Serve Mango Shrikhand chilled garnished with chopped mango cubes and pistachio slivers.
- Avoid using sour tasting yogurt or curd for making the shrikhand.
- Use ripe and sweet mango pulp for the puree.
- Taste the mango puree and then adjust the amount of sugar accordingly.
- You can use plain Green Yogurt to make the mango shrikhand.
- In places fresh mango is not available use tinned mango puree or frozen mango pulp.
- Mango Yogurt is best enjoyed chilled. You can serve it room temperature as well.
- You can store mango yogurt for a week in the fridge.