Summer is officially here, and all the heat and energy accumulated throughout the day needs to be gently dissolved with soothing drinks. This Turmeric Lemonade is the perfect summer cooler. Did you ever think of adding turmeric to a cooling drink? For me, turmeric has always been a warming ingredient, until I read about recipes using it in drinks/cocktails and spritzers. In India, turmeric is commonly added to the milk that too during the winter season only. Haldi wala doodh or golden milk is the only turmeric flavored drink I have ever tasted until I tried this turmeric lemonade recipe.
Fresh turmeric root works wonders because it turns simple lemonade into a soothing and balanced elixir. It’s been a while since my lemonades have turned into something more serious than just water, lemon and honey. The color and the aroma of this turmeric lemonade is 100% natural. The taste of freshly grated turmeric pulp is slightly bitter and blends perfectly with the freshly squeezed lemon juice. And a drizzle of honey makes it taste all good.
While everybody knows about the exceptional anti-inflammatory effects of turmeric, its antioxidant properties are still in the shadows. These turmeric roots can do much more to your drink than only just giving it a lovely sunset hue. The addition of fresh mint leaves renders the pure summery scent to the drink. This turmeric lemonade is a treat for your culinary senses. For the nation that is nearly obsessed with turmeric, summer coolers like turmeric lemonade are always a crowd pleasing drink.
I love turmeric to the core for it’s culinary and medicinal benefits. Turmeric Lemonade has given me one more reason to include this super ingredient in my everyday diet apart from adding it to curries. In case, you are not having fresh turmeric root on hand for the recipe, use the good quality turmeric powder. Steep a teaspoon of turmeric powder in the warm water and allow to cool. Use that golden water to flavor the lemonades, coolers, and iced-tea.
How to make turmeric lemonade in less than 20 minutes:
- 1 turmeric root, peeled and grated (kachhi haldi)
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 4 Cups of water
- 1 tbsp or to taste honey/maple syrup
- 1 tbsp chopped mint leaves
- Peel and grate the turmeric root.
- Add 1 cup water in a small sauce pan.
- Add grated turmeric, bring to boil over medium heat and then turn off the heat.
- Strain to obtain a clear liquid and set it aside to cool.
- In a pitcher, combine lemon juice, honey and turmeric water.
- Stir to mix, taste and add more honey or lemon juice if required.
- Add chopped mint leaves, ice-cubes and stir once again nicely.
- Serve Turmeric Lemonade chilled.