Cardamom Spiced Eggless Semolina Cake is a humble cake without any decorative icing but the flavors are subtle, aromatic and hearty, a combination of cardamom, pistachio, and lime syrup give this cake a very Middle Eastern dimension and also make it a perfect festive bake. In India, during festivals, we avoid egg in our desserts, a generous portion of dry fruits is used and we love to play around with indulgent spices like saffron and cardamom so it could be a great Diwali dessert.
Till now I have not done any preparation for Diwali, even my shopping list is yet not sorted, I am totally counting on last three days before Diwali for my planning and preparation, and yes this cake I baked sometime back for a tea party at my place, so thought festive season will be a perfect time to share this recipe and it is a kind of my last minute savior when I have not yet decided any particular dessert for Diwali.
Last week I was totally busy reviewing different food festivals happening in the city, in the month of October city turns into it’s lively itself, music concerts, food festivals, new restaurants, and yes this celebration continues until December. So coming back to my story of a busy schedule, while I was busy doing food festival hopping many of you mailed me, messaged me requesting for the Diwali recipes so I dug out this recipe from my folder archives and decided to share it on the blog. But stay tune with us some more Diwali recipes coming up in the coming week, till than begin the celebration with this Semolina Cake.
Eggless Cardamom Spiced Semolina Cake Recipe
Moist and delicious cardamom spiced eggless semolina cake recipe
For the cake
- 1 Cup semolina
- ½ Cup whole wheat flour
- ½ Cup plain flour
- ½ Cup yoghurt
- ¼ Cup milk at room temperature
- ½ Cup olive oil
- ½ Cup powdered sugar + 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 3 – 4 green cardamom pods
For the glaze
- ½ Cup castor sugar
- ¼ Cup lime juice
- 4 tbsp water
- Chopped pistachio to serve
- Combine 1 tbsp of granulated sugar along with cardamom pods in a blender and blend until it turns into powder.
- Grease 9 inch round baking tin with butter and line the base with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl sift together semolina, flours, baking powder and baking soda. Mix in the powdered cardamom as well.
- In another bowl mix in yogurt, milk and oil. Beat for 5 minutes with a wire whisk. Gradually add sugar and beat until sugar is nicely dissolved.
- Add ⅓ of semolina mixture at a time into wet ingredients and each time beat with an electric mixer for 2 – 3 minutes at medium speed. Repeat the process until all combined well.
- Batter should be of dropping consistency.
- Pour the batter into the prepared tin and bake at 200 degree celsius for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile prepare the glaze, place sugar, lime juice and water in a small saucepan on low heat; stir until sugar dissolves. Increase to high and simmer for 3 – 5 minutes, without stirring, until syrupy.
- Once cake is baked pour the glaze over the cake and let it cool in the tin itself for sometime before placing it on a wire rack.
- Before serving sprinkle chopped pistachios on top and serve with a dollop of softly whipped fresh cream.