Red Harissa Recipe
Harissa is a hot and explosive Moroccan Dip made of loads of variety of chilies and pepper, commonly served in Mediterranean restaurants. Harissa has its roots in Tunisia and slowly it’s popularity reached Libya, Algeria and now Morocco. My family is addictive to this sauce. Though there is a truck of chilies that goes into the making of Harissa yet it is not tongue burning. In fact, your taste buds crave for more. I am not a huge fan of Mediterranean cuisine but I like few dishes here and there, Red Harissa is one of them. Red Harissa is one multi-purpose dip which can be used in so many ways, a spoonful of Harissa in yogurt or cream and an excellent dip for cocktail snacks is ready, fish marinated in Harissa and grilled served over the bed of couscous salad is another favorite. We love to season corns with a dash of Harissa and lemon. It is surely a versatile dip.
Learn how to make Harissa in few simple steps:
Red Harissa Recipe
Yields 250 gram
- 1 red bell pepper, whole
- 10-15 dried long red chilies
- 4 – 5 small red chilies
- 3 – 4 cloves garlic
- Salt, as per taste
- 1 tsp cumin seeds, roasted
- 1 tsp caraway seeds (Black Cumin), roasted
- 60ml olive oil
- Take hot water in a bowl and soak the dried red chilies and cover the bowl, this is to rehydrate dried red chillies.
- For roasting bell pepper either it can be done in oven or over the flames.
- Preheat the oven to 200C. Place bell pepper on a tray and roast till blackened and blistered, turning often. Remove and place in a bowl, cover with a kitchen towel and leave for 10 minutes. Peel off skin carefully, discard seeds and stalk.
- Drain the soaked red chillies and place with remaining ingredients in blender and make a smooth puree.
- Store in clean, dry, airtight container. To increase the shelf life keep in refrigerator and use dry spoon to scoop out Harissa.
- This stays well for 3 – 4 weeks in fridge.
Fun FOOD and Frolic http://www.funfoodfrolic.com/
Leave a Comment
Subscribe to our newsletter!!
Sign Up To Have New Recipes Delivered Straight To Your Inbox (For Free)!