Have you ever thought of making a garlic pickle? It is one of those easy Indian recipes that are so uncomplicated to follow. And if you are a devoted garlic lover like me, then I am sure you are going to love this garlic pickle. I think this Indian style pickle is the best way to include loads of garlic in our everyday diet. If the word Indian and pickle intimidating you then don’t worry, this is a pretty simple and straightforward recipe to reciprocate.
How I even know about the garlic pickle? All thanks to my mother. She is the one who is been making batches of garlic pickle every year for the entire family. Needless, to say she is also a hardcore garlic lover like me. This pickle has a strong aroma of garlic and a pungent taste of mustard to it. Making it all the more delectable. There is something totally irresistible about the aroma of garlic. It is so captivating and addictive in a good way.
Easy Indian Recipes For Pickle – Ginger Pickle, Green Chilli Pickle, Mango Pickle and Mixed Vegetable Pickle
For someone like me who has always fallen for the Spaghetti Aglio Olio and the Cream of Garlic Soup, this pickle recipe is another favorite garlic dish. We love to enjoy garlic pickle with stuffed paratha, dal, and at times with the khichdi as well. I have used the giant size Chinese garlic cloves to make this pickle. They have so much more perfume and flavor to them then the regular tiny garlic cloves. And the best part is you can easily get a neatly peeled and packed bag of Chinese garlic cloves at any supermarket. Though my mother insists on peeling garlic cloves from scratch for the pickle. I find peeling process tad too boring and time-consuming.
There is one little secret I want to share with you about this garlic pickle – the older it gets the better it is. With time the garlic cloves soaked in the masala gets softer and softer and the flavor of the pickle matures perfectly. Many nutritionists believe that the medicinal value of garlic is best unlocked when it is consumed raw. And what could be a better way to eat tons of raw garlic then delicious pickle. In case you wondering what health hazards garlic help to cure – it helps regulate blood pressure, blood sugar, lower cholesterol levels and purifies the blood. These are the few of many health benefits of the magical garlic.
Hope now I have given you more than one reason to try this garlic pickle recipe.
For more such fun recipes in your life, follow along on Facebook, Instagram, or subscribe to our Youtube Channel.
And don’t forget to rate this recipe if you Like it!
- 200 gram peeled garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon achaar masala pickle masala ( see recipe )
- 2 tablespoon black mustard seeds rai
- 1/2 Cup mustard oil
- Salt to taste
- Peel the garlic cloves. If they are too big in size cut them into halves.
- Slightly crush the mustard seeds in a blender or in a mortar and pestle. Pulse it only once for 1 - 2 seconds in a blender. We do not need a fine powder.
- Combine garlic cloves, mustard seeds, pickle masala and salt.
- Mix nicely to coat the garlic cloves with the spice mix.
- Pour the mustard oil and once again, mix nicely.
- Transfer the pickle to a clean, dry jar with a tight fitting lid.
- Now keep the pickle continuously for a week under the direct sun rays.
- After a week garlic cloves soften a bit and the flavor of the pickle is matured.
- Store garlic pcikle at room temperature for next few months.
This recipe yields approximately 200 gram of pickle.
Keep the pickle away from any moisture contamination.
Try to use clean and dry spoon to scoop the pickle from the jar.