Chicken Korma Recipe
Chicken Korma is a rich, creamy, aromatic, mildly spicy Indian chicken curry. Learn how to make restaurant-style chicken korma in a few simple steps.
Heavy Bottom Kadhai
- 1 kilogram skinless, bone-in chicken pieces
Ingredients for marinade
- 1/2 Cup thick curd
- 2 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon garam-masala (see recipe)
- 1 teaspoon salt
Ingredients for Gravy
- 1 Cup korma curry paste see recipe
- 1/4 Cup ghee
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 - 3 green cardamom
- Salt to taste
- 2 - 3 green chillies
- 1/2 teaspoon garam-masala see recipe
- 1/2 Cup water
Clean, wash, and pat dry the chicken pieces. Prick the chicken pieces a few times with a fork.
Combine curd, ginger-garlic paste, salt, and garam masala in a bowl. Mix nicely to make a smooth lump-free paste.
Add chicken pieces to the marinade paste. Rub the chicken pieces with the marinade nicely. Keep the marinated chicken in the refrigerator overnight or for at least 5 - 6 hours.
Prepare the korma curry paste following my recipe.
To make chicken korma, heat ghee in a heavy bottom casserole. Add the bay leaf and the crushed cardamom pods. Cook for a few seconds to release the aroma of spices.
Now add the marinated chicken pieces, korma curry paste along with the marinade. Fry over low heat till they turn pale white and tender. This usually takes 10 - 15 minutes.
Season with salt, green chillies, and the garam masala. Cover and cook the chicken over low heat till the pieces are tender.
To make little gravy add 1/2 Cup of water. Simmer the curry uncovered over low heat till it thickens. Keep stirring at regular intervals.
Garnish Chicken Korma with fresh coriander leaves.
Serve Chicken Korma warm with naan or tandoori roti.
- Try to use the thick and fresh curd for marinating the chicken. Avoid curd with a sour flavor.
- Whisk the curd and other ingredients nicely before marinating the chicken.
- Water is always added towards the end of the process when the chicken pieces are almost cooked. After adding water do not cook the chicken pieces for too long.
Calories: 446kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 55g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 208mg | Sodium: 980mg | Potassium: 648mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 160IU | Vitamin C: 13mg | Calcium: 77mg | Iron: 3mg