Jowar Upma Recipe is made from sorghum pearls that are stir-fried along with seasonal vegetables and flavored with garlic, peppers and vegetable stock. Jowar is one of the five top cereal crops in the world rich in protein, iron, and fiber. Jowar also has great antioxidants properties and is also gluten-free, hence making this Jowar Vegetable Upma a great choice for gluten free diets.
To know more about Gluten you can read my article – Making Sense of Gluten
Gluten-Free Jowar Upma Recipe
Jowar Upma Recipe is made from sorghum pearls that are stir-fried along with seasonal vegetables, and flavored with garlic, peppers and vegetable stock.Print Pin Rate
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 2 cup Jowar pearls
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 medium size carrot finely chopped
- 1/4 cup sweet corn kernels
- 1/4 cup green peas
- 2 tbsp peanuts roasted
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- Juice from 1 lemon
- Salt as per taste
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cups vegetable stock or water
- A small bunch of chopped coriander leaves
- To prepare Vegetable Jowar Upma Recipe, wash and soak Jowar pearls overnight or for at least 6 – 7 hours in water. Jowar is a millet that takes a long time to cook, so it is important to soak it.
- Once the Jowar is soaked, drain the excess water. Place the Jowar into the pressure cooker along with 4 cups of vegetable stock and salt. Cover the pressure cooker (Buy it here) with its weight on. After about one whistle, turn the heat to low and simmer for about 10 minutes and turn off the heat. After 10 minutes turn off the heat and allow the pressure to release naturally. The Jowar will continue to cook in the pressure that exists in the cooker.
- Open the lid of the pressure cooker and check Jowar pearls for doneness. Jowar pearls have chewy texture in comparison to other grains.
- Heat oil in a stir fry pan (Buy it here) over medium heat and saute the chopped onion, for a couple of minutes. Once the onion turns translucent, add the peanuts and saute for another 2 – 3 minutes.
- Now add corn kernels, peas and chopped carrot. Saute for 5 minutes.
- Next add the Jowar, salt and black pepper. Stir nicely to evenly combine the seasoning.
- Cover the pan with a tight fitting lid, reduce the heat to low and let Jowar Upma cook for about 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and drizzle lemon juice over upma. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves. Serve Jowar Upma hot with chutney.
love what you see? Follow @hinagujral on Pinterest!