Vermicelli Upma Recipe
Vermicelli Upma is an easy to prepare Indian breakfast recipe made with vermicelli. Learn how to make South Indian style semiya upma in a few simple steps.
Heavy Bottom Kadhai
- 2 Cup vermicelli (semiya)
- 2 teaspoon cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds (rai)
- 1 teaspoon urad dal (skinned)
- ¼ Cup peanuts
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 medium-size onion, fine chopped
- ¼ Cup potato, peeled and fine chopped
- ¼ Cup green peas
- ¼ Cup carrot, peeled and fine chopped
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon red chilli powder
- Juice of one lemon
How To Boil Vermicelli (Semiya):
Add 4 cups of water and a teaspoon of salt in a large saucepan. Turn on the gas stove.
Once the water starts boiling, add vermicelli. Stir and cook for 10 minutes or until softened.
Transfer to a metal colander. Drain all the water. Rinse vermicelli nicely with cold or running water. Drizzle a teaspoon of oil and mix. Set aside till required.
How To Make Semiya Upma:
Heat oil in a kadhai or pan. Add mustard seeds. Allow them to crackle.
Add urad dal and fry for few seconds or till turn light golden in colour.
Next, add the peanut and fry for a minute.
Now add the curry leaves and onion. Fry till onion turn light golden in colour.
Add mix vegetable, salt, spices and stir to combine. Cover and cook till the vegetables are tender.
Once vegetables are cooked, add boiled vermicelli and gently mix all the ingredients together.
Drizzle lemon juice and sprinkle fresh coriander leaves. Mix nicely.
Serve Vermicelli Upma with green chutney and a hot cup of tea.
- Add vermicelli in the water only when it is a roaring boil. Do not add vermicelli before that stage.
- Vermicelli or semiya does not take too long to get cooked. So while boiling keep checking them for doneness. Usually, vermicelli does not take more than 10 minutes to get perfectly boiled.
- To make a vegan vermicelli upma, use refined oil or coconut oil instead of ghee.
- You can store semiya upma for 2 - 3 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Reheat it in a microwave or a frying pan.
Calories: 117kcal | Carbohydrates: 20.6g | Protein: 2.7g | Fat: 2.6g | Fiber: 1.2g