Pahadi Aloo Ke Gutke Recipe
Aloo Ke Gutke is a Pahadi style jeera aloo or masala potato fry. Learn how to make Uttarakhand style aloo gutuk in a few simple steps.
- 5 potato
- 4 tablespoon mustard oil
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds (Pahadi rai or black rai)
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 2 dry red chiles
- 2 green chili, sliced
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder (dhaniya powder)
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves
Parboil potatoes in a pressure cooker for 2 whistles. Remove the skin and roughly dice the potatoes. Aloo Ke Gutke requires chunky and bigger in size potato pieces than regular jeera aloo.
Heat oil in a cast iron skillet until fuming hot, reduce the heat. Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, red chili, green chili, and fry for a minute.
Once seeds start popping add add diced potatoes and mix well.
Add spices, salt, and mix well. Cover the skillet with a tight-fitting lid. Let potato cook over low heat until fully cooked, tender, and brown charred marks appear on them. By slow cooking, the masala flavors penetrat within the layers of potato.
Turn off the heat. Garnish the potatoes with fresh coriander leaves.
Serve Aloo ke Gutke hot with a cup of tea or kheere ka raita.
- It is highly recommended to use mustard oil for cooking potatoes. It gives an authentic taste to the dish.
- The aloo ke gutke are best cooked in a cast-iron skillet or a heavy bottom Indian Kadhai.
- Keep checking and stirring the potatoes while cooking else they might get burnt.
- The aloo ke gutke are charred and crisp from the outside while mouth-melting soft from inside. Hence, keep adjusting the heat while cooking them.
- Spices like Chaat masala, Garam Masala, or cumin powder are not added to the gutke.
Calories: 368kcal | Carbohydrates: 52g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 9g | Sodium: 104mg | Potassium: 1270mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 401IU | Vitamin C: 88mg | Calcium: 63mg | Iron: 4mg