Recipe Video. Tried and tested crispy homemade Jalebi recipe. Learn how to make crispy jalebi without yeast at home in a few simple steps.
Servings: 20 Jalebi
Ingredients For Batter:
- 1 Cup maida (all-purpose flour)
- 2 tablespoon corn flour (starch)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 Cup sour curd
- 2 tablespoon ghee (clarified butter)
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder for color
Ingredients For Sugar Syrup:
- 2 Cup granulated white sugar
- 2 Cup water
- a few strands of saffron
To make the Jalebi batter, combine together the maida, cornflour, baking powder, turmeric in a bowl.
Add ghee and curd to the dry ingredients. Mix nicely to make a thick batter. Whisk the batter nicely for 5 - 10 minutes either with a wire whisk or using an electric hand mixer.
The consistency of the batter should be thick and not watery, a little thicker than dosa batter. You should be able to make a shape using a piping bag.
Cover the jalebi batter and place it in a warm place for 24 hours or at least 8 - 10 hours, till it is fermented, the batter will rise once fermented.
Once the batter is fermented stir the batter in a cut and folds motion to combine it once again. Make sure not to whisk it for too long once it is fermented.
Now to make the jalebis preheat the oil in a wide heavy-bottomed pan for deep frying. To check whether the oil is hot enough for deep frying the Jalebi, drop a teaspoon of batter in oil and if it comes floating to the top almost immediately, the oil is ready for frying.
Meanwhile fill the plastic squeeze bottle with the batter. Tap to remove air. Test the batter by making few jalebis on a plate. Next, pipe spirals or concentric circles of the batter onto the hot oil. Fry the jalebi on low-medium heat until golden brown in color and crisp.
Once the jalebi is crisp and browned, transfer to a metal colander to drain the excess oil. Let it sit for 5 - 10 seconds.
- The leftover batter can be stored in the fridge and is good to use for next 2 - 3 days.
- As we are not using any yeast in this recipe, it is important to use sour curd for making the batter. The batter will turn light and fluffy after fermenting.
- Turmeric is added only for the color in the batter. You can use organic food color as well.
- If the nozzle or tip of squeeze bottle is too thin, cut it a little bit to get the desired thickness of jalebi. Please keep in mind, the jalebi exapnds in size while frying. So adjust the thickness of nozzle accordingly.
- Equipment Used: Heavy Bottomed Pan ( buy it here ), Plastic Squeeze Bottle (buy it here)
Serving: 1jalebi | Calories: 124kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 5mg | Sodium: 7mg | Potassium: 36mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 21g | Vitamin A: 12IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 21mg | Iron: 1mg