Curd Rice (Thayir Sadam)
Curd Rice is a gluten-free, savory Indian side-dish prepared with yogurt and pre-cooked steamed rice. Learn how to make South Indian thayir sadam in a few simple steps.
Servings: 4 adults
- 1/2 Cup short grain rice
- 2 Cup curd (yogurt)
- 1/4 Cup pomegranate pearls
- Salt to taste
Ingredients For Tempering:
- 1 tablespoon ghee or cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds (rai)
- 2 tablespoon peanuts
- 1 teaspoon white urad dal
- 1 teaspoon chana dal
- 2 - 3 dry red chilies
- 5 - 6 fresh curry leaves
How To Prepare Rice:
Wash and soak rice in water for 10 - 20 minutes.
Next, cook the rice until it is soft and mushy. You can cook the rice in a pressure cooker or instant pot as well. Transfer to a wide bowl or plate and allow to cool down completely.
How To Make Curd Rice:
Mix salt and yogurt. Whisk nicely so that no lumps remain.
Combine rice with curd. If the mixture seems too thick add 1/4 cup of cold milk or water to get the desired consistency.
To prepare the tempering, heat oil in a small pan.
Add mustard seeds, dal, and peanuts. Roast for 2 - 3 seconds.
Add red chillies and curry leaves. Roast for another one or two seconds.
Pour the tempering over the curd rice and mix nicely.
Garnish curd rice with pomegranate pearls.
Serve curd rice immediately with fried papadum or potato roast.
- If the curd rice seems too thick, use either cold water or milk to get the desired consistency.
- Grated carrot or diced cucumber can be combined in the curd rice before tempering.
- For tempering, you can use either, ghee, refined oil, coconut oil or any other cooking oil of choice.
- Leftover rice can also be used for making curd rice. But try to use short grain rice and not basmati or any other long grain rice. Short grain rice is high on starch content. Hence, helpful in making creamy curd rice.
- Rice can be cooked in a pressure cooker or instant pot as well.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 248kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 26mg | Sodium: 60mg | Potassium: 270mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 262IU | Vitamin C: 57mg | Calcium: 165mg | Iron: 2mg