Veg Manchurian Gravy Recipe
Recipe Video. Veg Manchurian is one of the most popular Indian-Chinese gravy recipes. Light, spongy, deep-fried vegetable meatballs dunked in a sweet and spicy luscious sauce is how you define manchurian.
For Vegetarian Manchurian Balls:
- ¼ Cup cabbage, grated
- ¼ Cup carrot, grated
- ¼ Cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoon breadcrumbs
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoon all-purpose flour (maida)
- Salt to taste
- Oil for deep frying
For Manchurian sauce
- 1 tablespoon fine chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon fine chopped ginger
- ½ Cup finely chopped spring onion
- ½ Cup diced capsicum
- 1 tablespoon corn flour (corn starch) dissolved in 4 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon soya sauce
- 1 tablespoon red chilli sauce
- 1 tablespoon green chili sauce
- 2 Cup water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoon cooking oil
How To Make Veg Manchurian Balls:
Mix all the ingredients for vegetable balls except oil in a large bowl. Combine with your fingers to get a soft, pliable dough-like mixture. Keep aside for 10 minutes.
Pinch small portion out of the mixture and shape into the small round balls. Once all the balls are ready, keep them in the fridge till oil is heated.
Heat oil in a deep frying pan over medium heat to fry the Manchurian balls.
Deep fry balls over medium heat in small batches, do not overcrowd the frying pan at one time else balls will not get adequately fried.
Once balls are deep brown from outside transfer to a plate lined with paper towels. Turn off the heat and set balls aside until required.
How To Make Manchurian Sauce:
To prepare the sauce, heat oil in a saucepan add ginger, garlic and saute for a minute. Next, add the chopped onion and fry over high heat for 2 – 3 minutes. No need to wait for the onion to get brown.
Now add chopped capsicum, soya sauce, chili sauce, red chili sauce, salt, black pepper and fry for 5 minutes over medium to high heat.
Add water. Stir to combine and let the Manchurian simmer for 5 minutes.
Add the cornflour paste to thicken the sauce and again simmer the sauce over medium heat. Once sauce is thickened as per desired consistency add the balls to the sauce and simmer for 5 - 10 minutes.
Turn off the heat garnish veg manchurian with chopped spring onion greens.
Serve Veg Manchurian with fried rice or chilli garlic noodles.
- Keeping Manchurian balls in the fridge for 10 – 5 minutes make them firm and there is less chance of balls falling part while deep frying.
- Before deep-frying the balls you can coat them in corn-flour and water mixture for a crisp exterior.
- I have not added any green chilies in the gravy but for a spicier gravy go ahead and add green chilies.
Calories: 127kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 304mg | Potassium: 127mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 1530IU | Vitamin C: 21mg | Calcium: 28mg | Iron: 1mg