Vegetable Dalia Khichdi Recipe
Vegetable Dalia Khichdi is a nourishing, wholesome Indian khichdi made with broken wheat (dalia), moong dal, and lots of vegetables in a pressure cooker. Learn how to make dalia khichdi in a few simple steps.
- 1 cup broken wheat (dalia)
- 1/4 cup yellow moong dal
- ghee (clarified butter)
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon hing (asafoetida)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped tomato
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/4 cup carrot, diced
- 1/4 cup potato, diced
- 1/4 cup broccoli florets
- 1/4 cup green peas (fresh or frozen)
- 4 cup water
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh coriander
Rinse, and wash moong dal with water. Soak it in 1 cup water for 10 minutes.
Heat ghee in a pressure cooker. Add cumin seeds, ginger, asafoetida, and fry for 10 - 20 seconds to release the aroma of spices.
Add chopped onion and fry till onion become light golden in color. Next, add chopped tomato, salt, and spices. Stir to combine and fry the masala till the tomatoes are mushy.
Add broken wheat, soaked dal (drain the water), and mix nicely.
Add all the vegetables, and combine all the ingredients together.
Add water, mix, and seal the lid of the pressure cooker. Cook dalia khichdi over medium heat for 1 - 2 whistles. The cooking time on the stovetop is 15 minutes. Let the steam release naturally from the pressure cooker. Open the lid and check khichdi for doneness.
Garnish dalia khichdi with a lot of fresh coriander.
Serve Vegetable Dalia Khichdi warm with raita and pickle.
- You can use bulgur wheat or quinoa as well for this khichdi recipe.
- Use the saute mode and pressure cooker mode of the instant pot to make this dalia khichdi. The pressure cook time is 5 minutes.
- To make a vegan dalia khichdi use coconut oil or vegetable oil for cooking rather than ghee.
Calories: 417kcal | Carbohydrates: 87g | Protein: 19g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 169mg | Potassium: 798mg | Fiber: 20g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 3461IU | Vitamin C: 33mg | Calcium: 118mg | Iron: 6mg