Avocado Hummus is a gluten-free, vegan hummus loaded with goodness of avocado. Learn how to make creamy Mediterranean style avocado dip.
Servings: 2 Cup
- 1 Cup chickpeas (white chana)
- 2 ripe avocado
- 1 Cup fresh coriander or parsley leaves
- 1 tablespoon tahini paste or sesame seeds
- Juice of one lemon
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 4 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder (jeera powder)
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper powder
Ingredients For Garnish:
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon red chilli flakes
How To Cook Chickpeas for Hummus:
You can use tinned or canned chickpeas to make the hummus or you can boil chickpeas at home from scratch.
To boil chickpeas, rinse and soak them in water for 5 - 6 hours.
After 5 - 6 hours drain the water from the soaked chickpeas. Transfer them to a pressure cooker or instant pot. Add approximately 2 Cups of water and a teaspoon of salt.
Close the lid of the pressure cooker. Cook the chickpeas over medium heat for 3 - 4 whistles. Slightly mushy or over-cooked chickpeas are best to make a creamy hummus.
Transfer the boiled chickpeas to a colander or sieve. Allow them to cool down completely. Remove the skin of the chickpeas. Reserve the boiled chickpea liquid.
How To Make Avocado Hummus:
Cut the avocado into two halves. Remove the stone using a knife. Scoop out the the avocado pulp with a spoon. Transfer it to the blender.
Combine chickpeas, avocado, tahini paste or sesame seeds, lemon juice, garlic, olive oil, coriander, cumin powder, salt and pepper in the bowl of a food processor. Blend until smooth.
Pour dip into the serving bowl and garnish with coriander and red pepper flakes. Drizzle with more olive oil and serve.
- Drain out the water in the chickpeas completely before blending, otherwise, it will ruin the consistency of the dip
- Alternatives for tahini paste – Low-fat yogurt (dairy), coconut cream (dairy-free yogurt) or the plain Greek yogurt)
Serving: 1Cup | Calories: 504kcal | Carbohydrates: 27g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 42g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Sodium: 32mg | Potassium: 352mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 836IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 71mg | Iron: 4mg