Samavat Rice Kheer (Vrat Ke Chawal Ki Kheer)
Samavat Rice Kheer is a delicious gluten-free Indian milk pudding made with barnyard millet. Learn how to make farali vrat ki kheer in a few simple steps.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time40 mins
Servings: 4 adults
- 1/4 cup barnyard millet (samvat/sama rice)
- 1 litre full cream milk
- 1/3 Cup white sugar or to taste
- 1 teaspoon green cardamom powder
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron strands
Ingredients to serve
- 1 Cup chopped ripe mango
- 1/4 Cup pomegranate pearls
- 1 tbsp sliced pistachio and almonds
Clean and soak rice in water for 20 - 30 minutes. Drain the water from the soaked rice and set aside.
Gently crush the saffron strands and soak them in 2 tbsp of warm milk.
In a heavy bottom saucepan add milk. Bring it to a gentle boil on a medium heat.
Add the sama rice, cardamom powder, and stir to combine. Keep stirring at regular intervals to avoid buring of the milk.
You have to simmer the kheer till rice is soft, mushy, and the texture of the kheer is creamy.
Once the rice gets cooked, add sugar and saffron strands. Stir to mix. Cook for a minute so that sugar is nicely dissolved.
Samavat Kheer has a thick and creamy consistency. Turn off the heat.
You can serve it either warm or allow to cool down at room temperature.
Once the kheer coold down, get it chilled in the fridge for 1 - 2 hours.
Garnish with chopped mango, pomegranate pearls and sliced nuts. Serve immediately.
- Make sure you use full cream or full fat milk for making the kheer.
- Keep stirring the kheer at regular intervals while simmering to avoid milk or rice getting burnt.
- Check rice for doneness at regular intervals while cooking.
- Do not add the sugar before rice is fully cooked and mushy.
- You can make this kheer in an instant pot as well. Add all the ingredients in the inner pot. Set Pressure Cook Mode for 10 minutes. Seal the lid. After 10 minutes check rice for doneness. If the kheer is not thick enough, set SAUTE mode for 10 minutes and allow the kheer to simmer till it thickens.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 120kcal | Carbohydrates: 29g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 1mg | Sodium: 1mg | Potassium: 24mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 18g | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 3mg | Iron: 1mg