Kung Pao Chicken
Recipe Video. Kung Pao Chicken or Gong Bao is a delicious Chinese style chicken stir fry with peppers and peanuts. Learn how to make the best kung pao in a few simple steps.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time35 mins
Servings: 4 adults
Ingredients for marinade
- 500 gram boneless & skinless chicken, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper or to taste
- 1/4 Cup cornflour (cornstarch)
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- Salt to taste
Ingredients For Sauce:
- 1/2 Cup diced yellow bell pepper
- 1/2 Cup diced red bell pepper
- 2 - 4 dry red chilies
- 1 tablespoon chopped ginger
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoon fine chopped celery or spring onion
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 2 teaspoon siracha sauce or red chili sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1/4 Cup water
- 1 tablespoon cornflour (cornstarch)
- Salt to taste
- 6 tablespoon sesame oil or cooking oil
Ingredients For Garnish:
- 1 tablespoon roasted peanuts
- 1 tablespoon chopped spring onion greens
Rinse the chicken pieces in water and pat dry with paper towels. Marinate the chicken pieces in oil, soy sauce, pepper, salt, and cornflour. Set aside for 15 - 20 minutes or keep in the fridge overnight.
Combine soy sauce, sriracha sauce, vinegar, sugar, cornflour and water in a bowl. Keep aside till required.
In the same wok, heat remaining oil and stir fry the bell peppers for a minute. Transfer them to a bowl and keep aside.
Add the chopped ginger, garlic, and dried red chilies. Stir fry until aromatic or 10 - 20 seconds.
Next, add the chopped celery or spring onion and quickly stir-fry for less than a minute.
Now, add the fried chicken pieces and mix nicely. Add the sauce mixture, salt, and stir-fry until the chicken pieces are nicely coated with the sauce. Allow the chicken to cook in the sauce for 5 - 10 minutes.
Add the bell peppers and stir to combine. Turn off the heat.
Garnish Kung Pao Chicken with roasted peanuts and spring onion greens.
Serve Kung Pao Chicken with the fried rice ( see recipe
- Adjust the amount of salt as per the taste of the sauces and the sodium amount in each sauce.
- Adjust the consistency of gravy by adding more or less water.
Serving: 100grams | Calories: 241kcal | Carbohydrates: 16.8g | Protein: 10.7g | Fat: 14.4g | Fiber: 1.7g