Kesar Makhana Phirni Parfait
Recipe Video. Makhana Phirni is a creamy Indian style foxnut milk pudding. Learn how to make special vrat phirni in a few simple steps.
Servings: 6 dessert glasses
For Makhana Phirni:
- 1 liter full-cream milk (full fat milk)
- 2 Cup lotus seeds (foxnuts/makhana)
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron (kesar)
- 1 teaspoon green cardamom powder (elaichi powder)
- 1/2 Cup granulated white sugar or to taste
- 2 tablespoon ghee (clarified butter)
- 1/4 Cup almonds (badam)
- 1/4 Cup pistachio
Ingredients for Phirni Parfait:
- 2 Cup diced fruits (peach, mango, apple)
- 2 tablespoon pomegranate pearls
- 1 tablespoon sliced pistachio/almonds
- 2 white bread slices
- 1/4 Cup ghee (clarified butter)
How To Make Kesar Makhana Phirni:
Make a coarse powder of almonds and pistachio in the blender. Set aside until required.
In pan heat ghee and roast foxnuts for 5 minutes. Pulse in a blender once to make a coarse powder. Keep aside
Take milk in a heavy-bottomed pan, add the cardamom powder and saffron strands. Boil on low flame. Keep on stirring at regular intervals.
Once the milk is reduced to half the original amount add the foxnut powder and dry fruits powder. Stir to combine nicely.
Allow the milk to simmer until it thickens and stir at regular intervals. Add the sugar, simmer the phirni for 3 - 5 minutes or till sugar is dissolved and then turn off the heat.
Allow the phirni to cool down completely. Keep it in the fridge until ready to serve.
How To Assemble Phirni Parfait:
Dice the fruits into bite-size pieces. Slightly dry roast the nuts.
Heat ghee in a pan and fry the bread croutons till crisp and golden. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel.
Divide an equal portion of makhana phirni into the serving bowls/glasses. Add a layer of fruits, nuts and bread croutons.
Serve makhana phirni parfait immediately.
- It is best to use full fat milk for making creamy Indian desserts such as phirni.
- Stir the milk at regular intervals while simmering to avoid burning. Use a wooden spoon to stir the milk and phirni.
- Do not make a fine powder of dry fruit or foxnut. Keep it coarse in texture. One pulse in a food processor or blender is enough.
- Make sure to add sugar only after the phirni is nearly done.
- Phirni thickens in texture after cooling. Hence, adjust the consistency accordingly.
- Allow phirni to chill in the fridge for 4 - 5 hours or overnight before serving or assembling the parfait.
Serving: 1glass | Calories: 344kcal | Carbohydrates: 29g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 49mg | Sodium: 72mg | Potassium: 326mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 26g | Vitamin A: 291IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 209mg | Iron: 1mg