Baba Ganoush Recipe
Baba Ganoush is a delicious Mediterranean style vegan roasted eggplant dip. Learn how to make vegan baba ghanouj in a few simple steps.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time25 mins
Servings: 4 adults
- 1 large-size eggplant (baigan)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tablespoon tahini paste (sesame seed paste)
- 1/4 Cup extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of one lemon
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon Za'tar Spice Mix (optional)
Ingredients For Garnish:
- 2 tablespoon crumbled feta cheese
- 3 - 4 cherry tomato, halved
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoon chopped coriander or parsley
Roast the Eggplant:
To make baba ganoush, first prick eggplant with knife or a fork. Next, roast it over the direct flame or in the oven at 225 degrees C till the outer skin gets charred and the flesh is tender.
Once roasted transfer the eggplant in the ball full of water. This way it is easier to get rid of the charred skin else you can remove the skin without soaking in water as well.
Prepare the Baba Ganoush:
Scoop the pulp of the roasted eggplant in a clean bowl and mash it nicely using the back of the spoon or fork.
Add the eggplant pulp, garlic, tahini paste, cumin powder, salt, lemon juice, olive oil and za'tar spice mix in a food processor. Blend to make a smooth paste. Taste and adjust the seasoning accordingly.
To serve, transfer Baba Ganoush to a bowl, on top sprinkle crumbled feta cheese, chopped tomato and drizzle olive oil.
Serve Baba Ganoush with toasted Pita Bread.
- A tablespoon of thick yogurt can also be added in the dip for a creamy taste and texture.
- If tahini paste is not available, use dry roasted white sesame seeds or pine nuts or walnuts. But make sure to blend the dip to a smooth consistency.
- Do not add any water while blending the dip. If the dip seems too thick, use a tablespoon of plain yogurt or olive oil.
- Adding za'tar spice mix gives authentic flavor to the dip. It has nothing to do with the texture of the Baba Ganoush.
- Baba Ganoush can be stored in the fridge for a week easily. And in the freezer for a month. Make sure to thaw it nicely before serving.
- For a spicy flavor, add a teaspoon of cayenne pepper while blending the dip.
Serving: 15g | Calories: 35kcal | Carbohydrates: 1.2g | Protein: 0.4g | Fat: 3.4g | Fiber: 0.4g