Hummus Recipe Without Tahini
A hummus is a Mediterranean-style buttery, smooth chickpea paste ideal for dipping, spreading or snacking. Learn how to make hummus recipe without tahini paste.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time25 mins
Servings: 1 medium-size bowl
- 1 Cup white chickpeas (chana/chole)
- 2 tablespoon white sesame seeds (til)
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- Juice of one lemon
- 1/4 Cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin powder (jeera powder)
- Salt to taste
Ingredients for Garnish:
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon za'tar spices mix (optional)
- 1 teaspoon chopped coriander
- a few pomegranate pearls
How To Cook Chickpeas for Hummus:
You can use tinned or canned chickpeas to make the hummus or you can boil chickpeas at home from scratch.
To boil chickpeas, rinse and soak them in water for 5 - 6 hours.
After 5 - 6 hours drain the water from the soaked chickpeas. Transfer them to a pressure cooker or instant pot. Add approximately 2 Cups of water and a teaspoon of salt.
Close the lid of the pressure cooker. Cook the chickpeas over medium heat for 3 - 4 whistles. Slightly mushy or over-cooked chickpeas are best to make a creamy hummus.
Transfer the boiled chickpeas to a colander or sieve. Allow them to cool down completely. Reserve the boiled chickpea liquid.
How To Make Hummus Without Tahini:
Transfer all the ingredients (boiled chickpeas, garlic, lemon juice, sesame seeds olive oil, salt, and cumin powder) to a blender or food processor.
Blend the ingredients until you get a creamy hummus. If the hummus seems too thick add a little bit more olive oil or the reserved liquid from the boiled chickpeas.
Once the hummus is smooth and creamy, transfer to a serving bowl.
Garnish hummus with the coriander, olive oil, and pomegranate pearls. Sprinkle za'tar spice mix.
Serve hummus immediately with pita bread or chips.
★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
- Za'tar is a Middle Eastern spice mix. IT give an extra authentic flavor to the hummus. But don't worry if that is not available.
- Garnish or topping for hummus can be customized as per your liking and preference.