Arbi Ki Sabji Recipe
Arbi Ki Sabji is a spicy, soupy colocasia root tomato-based curry minus onion and garlic. Learn how to make vrat special arbi curry in a few simple steps.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time35 mins
Servings: 4 bowl
- 500 gram arbi (colocasia root)
- 5 tablespoon ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 teaspoon jeera (cumin seeds)
- 1/4 teaspoon ajwain (carom seeds)
- a pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 2 medium-size tomato (blend to make paste)
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 - 2 green chilli, sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh coriander to garnish
Wash, pat dry, clean and peel the arbi. Cut it into round slices of equal size. Set aside till required.
Next, 4 tablespoon of heat ghee in a heavy bottom kadhai/pan.
Fry the sliced arbi over medium-heat till tender and a bit crisp in texture. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
In the same pan, heat remaining one tablespoon of ghee.
Add cumin seeds, carom seeds, asafoetida, and grated ginger. Fry for few 10 - 20 seconds.
Next, add the tomato paste and fry it nicely over low heat till oil starts separating from the masala.
Now, add the fried arbi slices and mix nicely in the tomato masala. Fry for 4 - 5 minutes.
Add the spices, salt, green chili and approximately 1/2 Cup of water. Reduce the heat to low and allow the curry to simmer covered for next 10 - 15 minutes.
Garnish arbi ki sabji with fresh coriander leaves.
Serve arbi ki sabji with puri or paratha.
★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
- It is usually best to wash colocasia roots a few hours before chopping so that they do not remain slimy to touch.
- Nicely, pat dry the roots before peeling and slicing.
- While slicing the arbi make sure it is not too thick otherwise it will take a longer time to get cooked.
- If you are not too keen on frying the arbi, you can simply boil it in a pressure cooker for one or two whistles, peel, and slice. Then add to the masala prepared.