Rava Idli Recipe
Rava Idli Recipe is a soft pillowy instant suji idli seasoned with South Indian flavors. Learn how to make suji idli in a microwave in a few simple steps.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time5 mins
Resting Time5 mins
Total Time20 mins
Servings: 8 idli
- 1 Cup semolina (rava/sooji)
- 1 1/4 Cup yogurt (curd), at room temperature
- 2 tablespoon ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds (rai)
- 1 teaspoon white urad dal
- 1 teaspoon chana dal (Bengal Gram)
- a pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 4 - 5 curry leaves
- 1/4 Cup fine chopped carrot
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 Cup water
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
Ingredients For Garnish:
- 8 cashew nuts
- 8 curry leaves
In a pan heat ghee over medium heat once ghee is heated add mustard seeds and saute for few seconds.
As mustard seeds start crackling add dal, asafoetida, cumin seeds, curry leaves and saute for 2 - 3 minutes.
Now add chopped carrot and fry for 1 - 2 minutes or till carrot turn a bit soft.
Add semolina to the tempering mixture and roast it over medium heat for 3 - 5 minutes. Stirring continuously while roasting.
Turn off the flame and transfer semolina to a bowl. Set aside until it cools down to room temperature.
Combine tempered semolina, curd, salt and water in a bowl to prepare idli batter. The batter should be of dropping consistency and not too runny if required add more water to get the right consistency. Cover the bowl with a lid and set aside for 5 minutes.
Prepare your idli steamer and grease the mold with little ghee to avoid idli sticking to the mould.
Prepare a microwave safe steamer. Grease idli molds with ghee or cooking oil.
Place a piece of cashew and curry leaf in each idli mold.
Once the steamer is ready, add fruit salt to the idli batter and stir nicely to combine evenly. The idli batter will turn frothy immediately pour a spoonful of batter in each mold.
Close the lid of the steamer and steam idlis in the microwave for 5 – 6 minutes while in gas steamer it takes 10 minutes.
To check idlis for doneness insert toothpick and check if it comes out clean else microwave for 1 - 2 minutes more.
With the help of a spoon remove idlis from the mold. Transfer to a plate.
Serve rava idli with sambar and coconut chutney for breakfast or lunch.
- Microwave safe steamer does not require any preheating. But if you are using a gas steamer to make idlis than you need to heat water in the steamer before pouring the batter into the molds.
- Equipment Required: Microwave Safe Steamer (Buy It Here)
Serving: 50gram | Calories: 84kcal | Carbohydrates: 0.1g | Protein: 0.3g | Fat: 0.1g