Thai Red Curry Paste Recipe
It is extremely simple to make a flavoursome thai red curry paste at home. Learn how to make red curry paste in a few simple steps.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time30 mins
Servings: 1 Cup
- 10 - 12 dry red chilies
- 5 - 6 cloves of garlic
- an inch piece of Galangal or ginger
- 1/2 tsp peppercorns
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 stalk of lemongrass white part only, chopped
- Juice of 1 lemon or kaffir lime
- 1/4 tsp rind of lemon or kaffir lime
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander stalks chopped
- 5 - 6 Thai bird's eye chilies or regular small red chilies
- Salt to taste
- 2 tsp shrimp paste optional
To make the Thai Red Curry Paste, first soak the dried red chillies in warm water until softened, about 15 minutes or so. Once soaked, strain and set aside.
In a small skillet, roast the coriander seeds, cumin seeds and peppercorns for a few minutes until fragrant. Turn off the heat and allow it to cool.
In a grinder, finely grind all the ingredients into a smooth paste adding a few tablespoons of water whenever required. The red curry paste should be thick and not watery.
Store in a clean airtight container in the fridge.
Make sure to use clean spoon to scoop out the paste.