Healthy Chana Salad
Recipe Video. Chana Salad is a protein-packed, gluten-free, healthy brown chana salad. Learn how to make a gluten-free salad in a few simple steps.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time30 mins
Servings: 2 adults
- 2 Cup brown chickpeas (kala chana)
- 1/2 Cup chopped onion
- 1/2 Cup chopped cucumber
- 1/2 Cup chopped tomato
- 1/2 Cup diced boiled potato
- 1/4 Cup chopped coriander (cilantro)
- Juice of one lemon
Ingredients For Dressing
- 1/4 Cup mint leaves
- 1/4 Cup fresh coriander leaves
- 1/2 Cup greek yogurt/curd
- 2 clove garlic
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon whole peppercorns or to taste
- 1/4 Cup extra virgin olive oil
Soak chickpeas (chana) overnight or for at least 4 - 5 hours. After soaking time, drain all the water from the chana.
Boil chana in a pressure cooker with a dash of salt and approximately 1 1/2 cups of water. Do not overcook the chana as it might turn mushy.
Transfer the boiled chana to a colander. This step will drain the excess liquid and allow chana to cool down completely before adding to the salad.
Combine all the dressing ingredients in a blender. Grind to a smooth consistency. Transfer to a jar and keep in the fridge till required.
Chop all the vegetables, mix and keep in the fridge.
Add the boiled chana to the chopped vegetables and mix nicely.
Pour mint dressing over the salad and toss gently.
Sprinkle fresh coriander leaves, squeeze lemon juice and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
Serve healthy chana salad immediately.
- To cook chana perfectly in a pressure cooker, 3 - 4 whistles over low heat are good enough. It approximately takes 15 minutes to become al-dente. Or you can cook chana in an instant pot as well.
- Do not add too much water while boiling the chana.
- To keep the salad crunchy avoid adding warm chana to the salad.
- If brown chana is not available, you can subsitute it with white chickpeas (safed chole/kabuli chana).
- Salad dressing can be prepared in advance and stored in the fridge for 3 - 4 days.
- Recommended Equipment: Salad Mixing Bowl, Blender
Serving: 1small bowl | Calories: 73kcal | Carbohydrates: 12.8g | Protein: 3.3g | Fat: 1g | Fiber: 5.5g