Mushroom Pulao Recipe
Mushroom Matar Pulao is truly a delicious rice dish prepared with button mushrooms and peas. Find how to make mushroom pulao recipe in a few simple steps
- 1 Cup basmati rice
- 4 tablespoon ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 - 4 cloves (laung)
- 2 - 3 whole green cardamom (elaichi)
- 1/4 Cup sliced or broken cashew
- 1 Cup sliced onion
- 1 Cup chopped button mushroom
- 1/2 cup green peas (matar)
- 1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon Garam Masala ( see recipe here)
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
Wash and soak the rice in enough water. Set it aside for 10 - 15 minutes.
Heat ghee in a pressure cooker or saucepan. Add whole spices, and saute for 10 - 20 seconds to release the aroma.
Next, add the sliced cashews and onion. Fry till the onion turn light golden in color.
Add the ginger-garlic paste, chopped mushrooms, peas, spices, and salt. Fry for the next 2 - 3 minutes or till all the liquid of mushrooms is evaporated.
Drain the water from the soaked rice. Add the rice in the pressure cooker. Stir to combine and saute the rice for a minute.
Next, add 1 1/2 cups of water or as required in the pressure cooker. Close the lid of the pressure cooker. Cook the pulao for one whistle over medium heat on the stovetop. In instant Pot, it will take 3 minutes in pressure cook mode.
Allow the steam to release naturally from the pressure cooker. Open the lid and fluff the rice using a fork.
Serve Mushroom Matar Pulao warm with raita and salad.
- You can use – crimini, portobello, shiitake, or any other wild variety of fibrous or meaty mushrooms to make pulao.
- The long grain basmati rice is the best for any type of Indian pulao or biryani. Avoid using starchy, sticky, short-grain rice for this rice recipe.
- For cooking the pulao from plain water, vegetable stock, to chicken broth, you can use either of these liquids to flavor the rice.
- For my basmati rice ratio of 1: 1 1/2 (rice:water) works perfectly fine.
- This pulao can be cooked in a traditional stovetop Indian pressure cooker, heavy-duty casserole, instant pot, or electric pressure cooker.
- You can make this pulao vegan by skipping ghee for cooking. Use coconut oil or any other vegan cooking oil to make the pulao.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 395kcal | Carbohydrates: 49g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 38mg | Sodium: 14mg | Potassium: 313mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 213IU | Vitamin C: 11mg | Calcium: 39mg | Iron: 2mg