Lobia Chaat Recipe
Lobia Chaat is a delicious, healthy chaat recipe made with black-eyed peas (lobia) and a lot of vegetables. Learn how to make healthy lobia salad.
Servings: 4 adults
- 2 Cup dry lobia beans (black-eyed beans)
- 1/2 Cup chopped onion
- 1/2 Cup chopped tomato, discard pulp
- 1/2 Cup diced boiled potato
- 1/2 Cup chopped cucumber
- 1/4 Cup pomegranate pearls/seeds
- 1/4 Cup chopped fresh coriander leaves
- Juice of one lemon
- 1/4 Cup roasted peanuts
- Salt to taste
- 1 Teaspoon cumin powder (jeera powder)
- 1/2 Teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Chaat Masala
Rinse and soak the beans for 2 - 3 hours in 4 cups of water. After 2 - 3 hours, drain water from the beans.
Pressure cook the beans along with salt and approximately 2 cups of water. The soaked beans do not take more than 2 - 3 whistles over medium heat to get cooked. Open the lid of the pressure cooker and check beans for doneness.
Transfer the beans to a metal colander. Allow them to cool down completely.
Chop the vegetables and keep in the fridge while beans are cooling.
Meanwhile, in a pan add spices, and dry roast for 10 - 20 seconds till aromatic. Set aside.
Combine boiled beans, vegetables, and the spices in a bowl. Taste and adjust the seasoning accordingly.
Before serving add chopped coriander, lemon juice, and roasted peanuts.
Serve Lobia Chaat immediately.
- Do not over cook the beans in a pressure cooker for this Chaat recipe else they will turn out mushy.
- If there is too much liquid in the boiled beans, transfer them to a metal colander, and remove the excess liquid.
- You can boil the beans 1 - 2 days in advance and store in the fridge.
- Allow the beans to cool down completely before adding the vegetables and coriander so that the crunch and freshness of vegetables remain intact.
- Adjust the salt to taste as while boiling beans also some amount of salt is added.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 192kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 53mg | Potassium: 547mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 310IU | Vitamin C: 9mg | Calcium: 47mg | Iron: 4mg