Classic Tomato Sauce Pasta
Recipe Video. Tomato Sauce Pasta is a classic pasta recipe bursting with flavors of homemade tomato sauce. learn how to make red sauce pasta in a few simple steps.
Servings: 2 adults
- 200 gram penne pasta
- 2 Cup tomato sauce/marinara sauce (see recipe here)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon red chilli flakes
- 1/2 Cup finely chopped zucchini
- 1/2 Cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- Salt to taste
- 4 - 5 fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 Cup sliced black olives
- 1/4 Cup cherry tomato, cut into halves
- 1/4 Cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
Next, boil the pasta in salted water till al-dente or cooked as per your liking. Drain water from the boiled pasta and transfer it to a colander. Reserve a cup of the pasta water to flavor the sauce later.
In a non-stick stir fry pan heat a tablespoon of olive oil. Stir fry zucchini and bell pepper till it for 3 - 5 minutes. Season with salt. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
Transfer the tomato sauce to a pan. Turn on the heat. Add the boiled pasta along with the stir-fry vegetables and stir to combine. Add oregano and red chili flakes.
Cook on a medium flame for 3 - 5 minutes for the pasta to absorb the flavors of the sauce while stirring the pasta occasionally in between. Adjust the consistency of the sauce by using reserved pasta water.
Before serving the pasta, add fresh basil leaves, olives, cherry tomato, extra virgin olive oil, and grated cheese.
Serve tomato sauce pasta warm with toasted garlic bread on the side.
- Tomato Sauce for the pasta can be prepared a day or two in advance and store it in the fridge. Watch my video of homemade tomato sauce.
- You can use penne, spaghetti, or any other shell-shaped pasta for the tomato sauce.
- After adding cheese you can bake the pasta as well for 5 - 10 minutes at 180 degrees C, for a crusty, cheesy texture.
- If black olives are not available use green olives.
Calories: 383kcal | Carbohydrates: 50g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 11mg | Sodium: 1761mg | Potassium: 1075mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 14g | Vitamin A: 2946IU | Vitamin C: 75mg | Calcium: 202mg | Iron: 5mg