Shahi Urad Dal Recipe
Shahi Urad Dal is a Mughlai style rich urad dal recipe. Learn how to make rich and creamy urad dal in a few simple steps.
Servings: 4 adults
Ingredients For Cooking Dal:
- 1 Cup chilka urad dal (split black lentils)
- ¼ Cup ripe tomato, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste
- ½ Cup milk
- 1 teaspoom turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 - 2 green chili, fine chopped
- salt to taste
- 1 bay leaf (tej patta)
- 2 green cardamom (hari elaichi)
Ingredients For Tempering (tadka):
- 2 tablespoon ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 teaspoon jeera (cumin seeds)
- 1 cup onion, fine chopped
- 1 tablespoon sliced almonds (badam)
- 1 teaspoon Garam Masala ( see recipe here)
How To Cook Urad Dal:
To make Shahi Dal, first clean, wash and soak the urad dal in enough water for 4 - 5 hours or overnight.
Next morning you will notice the black husk of dal starts leaving the white skin underneath. Rub the dal in small batches in between your palms to remove the black peel. Rinse again and you will end up with majorly white skinned dal with few black peel here and there.
Combine the dal, cardamom pods, bay leaf, chopped tomato, ginger - garlic paste, green chilli, milk, salt, red chili powder, turmeric powder, and 2 cups of water in a pressure cooker. Mix well to combine.
Pressure cook for 3 whistles over low heat or till urad dal gets cooked. Make sure urad dal does not get over cooked and turn mushy. Allow the steam of pressure cooker to escape naturally before opening the lid.
Gently whisk the dal with the spoon to thicken it.
How To Prepare Tempering:
Heat ghee in a deep pan and add the sliced almonds. Fry them till light golden. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
Add the cumin seeds. When the seeds crackle, add the onions, and sauté on a medium flame till onion turns light brown in color.
Once the oil starts separating from the masala, add the whisked dal, garam masala and stir to combine.
Taste the dal and adjust the salt accordingly. Let the dal simmer over low heat for few minutes. Turn off the heat.
Garnish Shahi Urad Dal with fried almond slices and fresh coriander leaves.
Serve Shahi Urad Dal warm with jeera rice or chapati.
- You can make this dal in an electric pressure cooker, multi-pot, or instant pot. In electric pressure cooker, it takes 15 minutes to cook fully.
- Urad dal or the split urad dal needs to be soaked for at least 4 – 5 hours in water. This reduces the cooking time.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 288kcal | Carbohydrates: 35g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 22mg | Sodium: 141mg | Potassium: 203mg | Fiber: 13g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 454IU | Vitamin C: 13mg | Calcium: 90mg | Iron: 5mg