Thandai is a cooling, sweet milk-based Indian drink prepared with a mix of dry fruits, spices, saffron, and rose petal. Learn how to make thandai recipe from scratch at home in a few simple steps.
Servings: 5 medium-glasses
For Thandai Powder:
- 1/4 Cup almond (badam)
- 1/4 Cup cashew nuts (kaju)
- 1/4 Cup pistachio
- 1 teaspoon white poppy seeds (khus-khus)
- 1 teaspoon melon seeds (char magaj)
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds (saunf)
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns (sabut kali mirch)
- 6 green cardamom (elaichi)
- a pinch of nutmeg (jaiphal)
- 1/4 Cup edible dry rose petals (optional)
Ingredients for Thandai
- 1 litre milk
- Sugar as per taste
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron
- 1 tablespoon chopped pistachio
How To Make Thandai Powder:
Combine all the ingredients in a blender. Grind to a coarse powder without using any water. Transfer to a bowl or airtight jar.
At this stage thandai masala is ready and it can be stored in bottle in fridge to be used later.
How To Make Thandai:
To make thandai, boil milk in a saucepan. Simmer the milk for next 5 - 10 minutes over low heat. Stirring occasionally in between.
Add the thandai powder, sugar as per taste, saffron strands, pistachio and stir to combine. Simmer milk over low heat for 10 - 15 minutes. Turn off the heat.
You can sieve the milk or keep it as it is in the fridge for the next 1 - 2 hours.
At the time of serving, pour into serving glasses. Top with crushed pistachios, slivered almonds and one or two saffron strands or rose petals.
Serve Thandai chilled.
- This quantity of ingredients would yield approximately 200 gram of thandai powder.
- If the quantity of milk is less use half of the thandai powder and store the rest in the fridge.
- If you like a smooth thandai sieve the mixture before keeping in the fridge.
- Adding garnish before serving is totally optional.
Serving: 1glass | Calories: 126kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 1mg | Sodium: 2mg | Potassium: 195mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 26IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 54mg | Iron: 1mg