Matar Poha Recipe
Matar Poha is one of the most loved Indian breakfast recipes. Find how to make a delicious poha recipe with the simple step by step video.
- 2 Cup Flattened rice (Poha)
- 1 Cup green peas (Matar)
- 1 Cup sliced onion
- 1 - 2 green chillies, sliced
- 2 teaspoon mustard seeds (rai)
- 5 - 6 curry leaves
- ¼ Cup peanuts
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon sugar (optional)
- 1 teaspoon green chutney
- 4 tablespoon cooking oil
- few chopped coriander leaves
- Juice of one lemon
Place the flattened rice in a metal colander and rinse with water. Once it is moistened nicely. Set aside. Do not rinse the poha for too long else it will turn mushy.
Heat oil in a heavy bottom kadai. Add the mustard seeds and fry till the mustard splutters. Add curry leaves and green chilies to the oil, fry for 10 - 20 seconds.
Now add the sliced onion, peanut, and fry for 1 - 2 minutes or till the onion turns light golden in color.
Add the green peas and fry nicely for the next 5 minutes. Season with salt, sugar, and spices. Stir to combine.
Once the green peas are nicely cooked add the softened flattened rice (chura).
Add fresh coriander, lemon juice, and green chutney. Mix nicely and cover the pan with a lid. Allow the poha to cook for 2 - 3 minutes covered for the flavors to combine well. Turn off the heat.
Serve Matar Poha for breakfast or as a tea time snack topped with aloo bhujia.
- Try to use thick flattened rice (poha) for this recipe. The thin flakes of rice get mushy and do not tend to yield a fluffy matar poha.
- At times, I add an equal amount of poha and peas in the chura matar. You can keep the proportion either 2:1 or 1:1.
- Adding sugar is totally optional. But a hint of sweetness gives the flavors of the poha a perfect balance.The sweet tamarind chutney also gives a delicious taste to the matar poha.
- If you are using frozen green peas, make sure to thaw them at room temperature before adding to the dish.
Calories: 275kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 127mg | Potassium: 257mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 426IU | Vitamin C: 28mg | Calcium: 35mg | Iron: 3mg