Aloo Pakora Recipe
I am sharing a vegan and gluten-free family favorite aloo pakora recipe that you will not find on any other website. Learn how to make cripsy aloo pakora in a few simple steps.
Servings: 15 fritters
- 3 - 4 potato, boiled
- ⅓ Cup gram flour (besan)
- 2 tablespoon rice flour
- 1 tablespoon green chili, chopped
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 2 teaspoon Chaat masala
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder (jeera powder)
- ¼ Cup fresh coriander, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 2 Cup refined oil or mustard oil, deep frying
First, boil the potato in a pressure cooker for 2 whistles over medium heat. Or boil them in a microwave.
We do not require watery or mushy potatoes. Boiled potatoes need to have a firmness to them. Remove the skin of the potatoes and allow them to cool so that they become easy to handle.
Transfer boiled potato to a bowl. Roughly mash them using a fork or potato masher.
Heat oil in a deep frying pan over medium flame.
Add remaining ingredients except for oil to the mashed potatoes. Combine all the ingredients together. Do not mash potatoes for too long or too hard. Once all the ingredients are combined well, stop mixing.
Once mixed, take a pinch or coin size portion of pakora mixture and slide it into the hot oil. Don't bother much about the shape of the fritters. Use the tip of your fingers to pinch a portion and then drop it into the frying pan.
Fry aloo pakora in small batches till crisp and golden from all the sides.
Transfer fried pakora into a plate lined with a paper towel or colander to absorb the excess oil.
Serve Aloo Pakora hot sprinkled with chaat masala along with green chutney.
- For this aloo pakora recipe, I boil the potatoes the previous day or the night before and keep them in the refrigerator. It saves a lot of time, and potatoes are much easier to handle.
- Do not bother about the shape of the pakora, they are bite-size and uneven. Do not make them too big.
- For deep frying, canola oil, rice bran oil, mustard oil, or vegetable oil are perfect.
Calories: 93kcal | Carbohydrates: 20g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 169mg | Potassium: 452mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 62IU | Vitamin C: 20mg | Calcium: 15mg | Iron: 1mg