Beetroot Hummus is a vegan, gluten-free Mediterranean dip recipe. Learn how to make vegan beetroot dip in a few simple steps.
Servings: 2 Cups
- 1 Cup canned or pre-cooked chickpeas
- 1 beetroot
- 4 garlic cloves
- Salt to taste
- ¼ Cup extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of a half lemon
Ingredients For Garnish:
- 1 teaspoon za'tar spice mix (optional)
- 1 teaspoon chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon feta cheese (optional)
Prep Work For Hummus:
If you are not using canned chickpeas, then wash, and soak dry chickpeas for 5 - 6 hours.
Next, boil chickpeas. Drain all the soaked water. Transfer the chickpeas to the inner pot of the IP. Add enough water to immerse the chickpeas. Like, if you have 1 Cup chickpeas add 2 Cups of water. Season with salt.
Close the lid of the IP. Set the Pressure Cook mode. Move the pressure valve to the Sealing position. Cook the chickpeas for 20 minutes.
Transfer the cooked chickpeas in a metal colander. Discard the skin of the boiled chickpeas. Allow them to cook completely. Reserve 1 Cup boiled chickpea water. We will need it later for blending hummus.
To steam beetroot, fill the bottom of the steamer with 2 inches of water and bring to a rapid boil. Place beetroot pieces in the upper deck, cover, and steam for 1 5 minutes. After 10 minutes poke them with a knife or fork to check for doneness. Allow to cool down completely.
How To Make Hummus:
Add all the ingredients in a food processor except 1 Cup reserved boiled chickpea water.
Blend the ingredients to a smooth consistency using the reserved boiled chickpea water. Add it in small batches to get the desired creaminess and consistency of the hummus.
How To Serve Hummus:
Transfer the hummus to a bowl. Garnish it with chopped walnut, parsley, feta cheese, and za'tar spice mix. Keep in the fridge to chill.
Serve beetroot hummus cold or at room temperature with pita bread, crips, or falafel.
- You can use canned chickpeas to make the hummus.
- Beetroot can be roasted or steamed for making hummus.
- You can make beet hummus a day or 2 - 3 hours before serving. Store it in the fridge until serving time.
- Make sure all the ingredients are at room temperature and not hot while making the hummus.
Serving: 1Cup | Calories: 370kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 32g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Sodium: 262mg | Potassium: 297mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 46mg | Iron: 2mg